Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

BMW 528i: my battery drains when the car is off. What could

my battery drains when the car is off. What could it be?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.
PLEASE NOTE THAT EXPERTS ARE ONLY COMPENSATED WHEN THE ACCEPT BUTTON IS PRESSED

.

JUSTANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND EXPERTS ARE ONLY COMPENSATED WHEN THE ACCEPT BUTTON IS PRESSED

.

EVEN IF YOU ARE ON A SUBSCRIPTION WITH UNLIMITED OR MULTIPLE QUESTIONS ACCEPT STILL NEEDS TO BE CLICKED TO CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

THANK YOU

*

*

*

*

Before reading my answer below, please note that I do not receive any credit or compensation whatsoever for my time and effort until the green ACCEPT button is pressed. Thank you.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

What you are experiencing is called parasitic draw. This is actually somewhat common.

There is some component on your vehicle that is draining power overnight while the car is supposed to be off.

If you have any kind of aftermarket equipment installed (GPS, ipod dock, etc), this is the first suspect.

IF there is no aftermarket equipment installed, the blower motor resistor is by far the most likely culprit. After that, the electric engine fan is also somewhat common. Beyond these items though, it could be ANY component on the car.

In order to determine the cause of this, you will need to unhook the negative battery cable and hook up an amp meter and measure draw after the car is locked and has sat untouched for 20min (this is when it is supposed to be in "sleep mode"). If there is more than about 50ma of draw at this point, you will need to pull fuses one by one until the draw stops. Whichever fuse stops the draw is the problem circuit.

If you are not familiar with using this equipment or performing this type of test, you should have it carried out professionally.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with your vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

>>>>>PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS ACCEPT <<<<<

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what happens if there is not more than 50ma of draw after disconnecting negative cable?
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

Hi again,

Please do not forget to click "ACCEPT" as this is the only way I am credited for my answer. I am not credited or compensated in any way until "ACCEPT" is pressed.

Even if you are on a subscription plan with unlimited questions you still must "ACCEPT" a satisfactory answer although you will not be charged anything additional beyond your subscription rate.

if you don't have draw, then there is no issue. If the battery is draining, there 100% will be draw. Otherwise, the battery is just old and not holding a charge.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

If I have answered your question, I would kindly ask that you please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I receive credit for doing so

thank you in advance.

Steve