Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

BMW 745Li: my 03 bmw 745Li wont start will not fire up

my 03 bmw 745Li wont start will not fire up
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

does the starter turn over?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it has full power but wont kick over
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

so yes or no: does the starter motor turn over ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.
so you press the start button and what happens?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it wont kick over
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.
so nothing happens at all? any noises? any clicking? any lights dimming?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just acting like it wants to start but wont and none of the lights are dimming
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

you said the starter motor was not turning over. but now you say it "acts like it wants to start" - which is it?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry the starter motor not turning over
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

so then what exactly is it doing that makes it "acts like it wants to start"

It is very difficult for me to provide you with guidance and info if you do not accurately describe the problem to me. Please be detailed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it wont turn over to start replaced the battery still nothing
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.
PLEASE NOTE THAT EXPERTS ARE ONLY COMPENSATED WHEN THE ACCEPT BUTTON IS PRESSED

.

JUSTANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND EXPERTS ARE ONLY COMPENSATED WHEN THE ACCEPT BUTTON IS PRESSED

.

EVEN IF YOU ARE ON A SUBSCRIPTION WITH UNLIMITED OR MULTIPLE QUESTIONS ACCEPT STILL NEEDS TO BE CLICKED TO CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

THANK YOU

*

*

*

*

Before reading my answer below, please note that I do not receive any credit or compensation whatsoever for my time and effort until the green ACCEPT button is pressed. Thank you.

The first thing to do would be to check all fuses. Sometimes a very random blown fuse can cause this. Also unhook the battery for one hour to reset all systems, and try a jump start just to be sure it isn't a battery issue.

Assuming the fuses are good and the battery reset does not help, nor a jump, then there are a few other things that can cause this. While not all can be trouble-shooted at home, I hope this information will be helpful to you and yield a possible solution.

1) bad key - try another one

2) bad brake light switch - make sure your brake lights work. If not, the switch is above the brake pedal.

3) shifter not fully in park (auto transmission only) - try moving it around a bit, try starting in both park and neutral

4) bad immobilizer (aka EWS or CAS) - nothing can be done, dealer equipment is required to fix. When this goes bad or out of alignment, the car does not get the proper signal that the correct key is present, and therefore, the car will not start and the starter will not be allowed to engage.

5) bad transmission position switch (auto transmission only, located on side of transmission, accessed from under car) - this is what signals the car that it is in neutral/park and is safe to start.

6) bad IVM module - this controls power to the starter

7) dead starter / solenoid - not likely, you would probably get some noise from it if this were the case.

Of course, it could also always be something totally random like a wiring breakage or problem with the engine control computer, but this is unlikely and hard to predict.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with your purchase decision.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

>>>>>PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS ACCEPT <<<<<

thank you in advance.

Steve