JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs Experience; ASE Master Technician; ASE L1 Certified

2001 BMW x5 3.0i: abs control module..speed sensor..brakes..diagnostic

Customer Question

2001 BMW x5 3.0i:BRAKE and ABS lights on; this started happening immediately after I had the master cylinder replaced; BMW dealer diagnosed problem, said they "think" it's the ABS control module; is it possible it's a speed sensor or some other problem. No problems with brakes, even during one panic stop; everything seems to be functioning correctly, no other lights on. Not sure I trust dealer diagnostic. Is it safe to drive? Thanks for any help you can offer.
Category: BMW
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 2 years ago.

Hi there,

Was the master cylinder replaced by the dealer? Did the lights come on immediately after the repairs, a few days later, a week? Did they run a diagnostic with the scan tool when you brought it to the dealer, if so; what were the fault codes they read out?

-JP

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Master cylinder was not replaced by the dealer but by an independent mechanic. The lights came on immediately after the master cylinder was replaced. The mechanic told me about it when I picked up the car after the work had been done. The lights don't come on immediately when the car is started, they come on only after the car starts up and reaches a speed of about ten mph. I took it to the dealer and they did run a diagnostic scan test.

I just talked to the dealer, and they didn't get any fault codes. They couldn't communicate with the ABS control module, and so they are assuming that's what the problem is. They had power and a ground for the ABS control module but could not read it.

Is the car safe to drive? I don't get any other signals or warnings lit. Thanks.

Yes, the car is perfectly safe to drive as is. With the ABS and traction warnings on; you will not have anti lock brake or traction control intervention, that is the only side effect. The braking system operates normally with these lights on. Sounds to me like you may need to replace the ABS module to rectify the lights if you feel you need to venture that road in the future.

Hope this helps, please use the accept button as this is the only way I receive credit for my work and time.

Thanks and good luck,

JP

Experience: 10 yrs Experience; ASE Master Technician; ASE L1 Certified
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do accept your answer. I think I can have the module rebuilt and drive it while it's being rebuilt. I'll have modulemaster do the work. Will it need to be reprogrammed by BMW after it's rebuilt? Thanks.

It depends on what they need to replace for the rebuild, I know a lot of online companies can program the module in house, so no dealer trip is needed; essentially plug and play.

-JP