Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

BMW 745i: I keep getting a P2187 & P2189 code. when I look

I keep getting a P2187 & P2189 code. when I look it up it says bank 1 & 2 are too lean at an idle. What should I do to correct that?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.

*

PLEASE NOTE THAT EXPERTS ARE ONLY COMPENSATED WHEN THE ACCEPT BUTTON IS PRESSED

.

JUSTANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND EXPERTS ARE ONLY COMPENSATED WHEN THE ACCEPT BUTTON IS PRESSED

.

EVEN IF YOU ARE ON A SUBSCRIPTION WITH UNLIMITED OR MULTIPLE QUESTIONS ACCEPT STILL NEEDS TO BE CLICKED TO CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

THANK YOU

*

*

*

*

Before reading my answer below, please note that I do not receive any credit or compensation whatsoever for my time and effort until the green ACCEPT button is pressed. Thank you.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

This would most likely be caused by an unmetered intake air leak of some kind.

Unmetered air leaks allow excess air into the engine and cause the fuel/air mixture to go out of alignment.

The definitive test for intake leaks is a smoke test where a smoke machine (kind of similar to a fog machine you would see at a concert or on Halloween) pumps the intake full of smoke and then the smoke reveals the leaks as it seeps out through any cracks or holes.

However, you can still check for leaks at home. To check for intake leaks, visually inspect the intake area for any cracked hoses/pipes. If you can't see anything, you can try this trick: spray a can of carb cleaner around the intake with the engine idling. If the idle changes, this indicates that the cleaner is entering the engine and you have localized the area of the leak. You can then inspect further.

The most common source of air leaks is from the rubber intake tubes between the air box, and the throttle.

Another common issue that causes this problem is a failed crankcase vent valve (aka PCV). This valve regulates a vacuum on the crankcase, when they fail, a high vacuum is put on the crankcase - giving an air leak. You can check for this by removing the oil filler cap with the engine running, if there is a high vacuum holding the cap down, the engine stalls, or idle dips a lot, then this valve has failed and is your problem.

Aside from the above, a failed mass airflow sensor can also cause this, a fuel pump / pressure problem, and also possibly an o2 sensor or temp sensor. However, these would be much less likely than the above items and would also require more sophisticated diagnostics that are provided by a p code reader to trouble shoot.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

>>>>>PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS ACCEPT <<<<<

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when removing the oil filler cap whith engine running the runs ruffer and acks like it wants to stall. so I will try changing the PCV valve. Thanks
Expert:  Steve replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome please don't forget to accept.
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert