Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

BMW 325i: I was told that my DME ECU module is bad and needs

I was told that my DME ECU module is bad and needs to be replaced. Where is this computer module located in my 325I BMW?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

it is located at rear right side of engine compartment at firewall in e-box:

graphic
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One last question: just to verify my relay the one I tested, this ignition relay is located in main fuse box correct? Which one is it?

Just to give you brief background on what my BMW 325i is doing! I wnt trough a car wash and it shut off on me, waited a hour or so then restarted after awhile. Next couple of days it wouldn't start but finally it it to turn over a few times but wouldn't stay running, it just shut off. The tried turning over right after it would just wined like it wanted to catch but didn't ! only a after swatting then again just shuts off..
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
hi,

it is located in the relay box in engine compartment at left rear of engine compartment

relay is highighted in yellow:
graphic

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok Thanks! Going back to the DME if I replace this with a used computer module will I have to reprogram it? Or is it plug and play?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

on that year, it is a plug and play
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks!
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome and have a great New Years

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks and the same to you! Based on your expertise do you think I covered all of my option with my starting issues?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

based upon the circumstances, symptoms, and what you have tested, yes, you have gone thru the needed steps and covered all options
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks again. XXXXX!
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

you are welcome! have a safe and prosperous year
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Eric,

The DME was the problem! I apreciate all of your help... I was able to remove it ans saw water on the circuit board, so I dried off and used a fine brush to remove the corrosion from the board after it dried. Reinstalled and it works like a champ, started right up an runs great.

I do have a question on the idle and what it should be at? I adjusted it before to get it going when all this happened an I adjusted it around 1000rpms but when I shift in gear it drops to around 700rmps an it runs steady but seems low especially in reverse. I just wanted to verify!

Again, I wanted to Thank you again for all of your services and expertise advise.

Thanks,

Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

great to hear.

specifications are 750-900rpms
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Eric,

I promise this is one of my last questions! At least today.... Lol. I was curious on my transmission . I've had this car for two years and wanted to know where is the dipstick for my transmission and how do I check it? I wasn't givin a owners manual and see where the oil dipstick is located on left looking at it from the front but it has a red dipstick but can't find the trans stick. Is this a auto trans w/o a dipstick for this year 94 BMW 325I?

Can you send me a pic if you have one on how to check an add fluid when needed?

Thanks,

Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

no dipstick. It has a fill/check plug on bottom side of the transmission. to check fluid, you park on level ground, run for about 10 minutes, and with engine idling, remove the fill/check plug. if fluid drips out, fluid level is good. if none comes out, add fluid. you have to use a pump attached to a bottle to pump the fluid up into the fill/check plug opening
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager