Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

BMW 325i: I was told that my DME ECU module is bad and needs

I was told that my DME ECU module is bad and needs to be replaced. Where is this computer module located in my 325I BMW?

it is located at rear right side of engine compartment at firewall in e-box:

graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One last question: just to verify my relay the one I tested, this ignition relay is located in main fuse box correct? Which one is it?

Just to give you brief background on what my BMW 325i is doing! I wnt trough a car wash and it shut off on me, waited a hour or so then restarted after awhile. Next couple of days it wouldn't start but finally it it to turn over a few times but wouldn't stay running, it just shut off. The tried turning over right after it would just wined like it wanted to catch but didn't ! only a after swatting then again just shuts off..
hi,

it is located in the relay box in engine compartment at left rear of engine compartment

relay is highighted in yellow:
graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok Thanks! Going back to the DME if I replace this with a used computer module will I have to reprogram it? Or is it plug and play?

on that year, it is a plug and play
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks!
You are welcome and have a great New Years

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks and the same to you! Based on your expertise do you think I covered all of my option with my starting issues?

based upon the circumstances, symptoms, and what you have tested, yes, you have gone thru the needed steps and covered all options
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks again. XXXXX!

you are welcome! have a safe and prosperous year
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Eric,

The DME was the problem! I apreciate all of your help... I was able to remove it ans saw water on the circuit board, so I dried off and used a fine brush to remove the corrosion from the board after it dried. Reinstalled and it works like a champ, started right up an runs great.

I do have a question on the idle and what it should be at? I adjusted it before to get it going when all this happened an I adjusted it around 1000rpms but when I shift in gear it drops to around 700rmps an it runs steady but seems low especially in reverse. I just wanted to verify!

Again, I wanted to Thank you again for all of your services and expertise advise.

Thanks,

great to hear.

specifications are 750-900rpms
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Eric,

I promise this is one of my last questions! At least today.... Lol. I was curious on my transmission . I've had this car for two years and wanted to know where is the dipstick for my transmission and how do I check it? I wasn't givin a owners manual and see where the oil dipstick is located on left looking at it from the front but it has a red dipstick but can't find the trans stick. Is this a auto trans w/o a dipstick for this year 94 BMW 325I?

Can you send me a pic if you have one on how to check an add fluid when needed?

Thanks,

no dipstick. It has a fill/check plug on bottom side of the transmission. to check fluid, you park on level ground, run for about 10 minutes, and with engine idling, remove the fill/check plug. if fluid drips out, fluid level is good. if none comes out, add fluid. you have to use a pump attached to a bottle to pump the fluid up into the fill/check plug opening