Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

BMW: 318i..all I got was a regular loud noise & the headlights flashed

I have a BMW E46 318i 1.9 2000. Car has been running fine until today when I started it, moved it a few feet & turned it off again. It was running for approx 20 seconds max.
After half an hour went to start it again and all I got was a regular loud noise & the headlights flashed along. Any ideas.
Many thanks

Hopefully this is just do to low battery voltage. The first step will be to use a jump pack or jumper cables. If you use jumper cables let the other vehicle idle while attached for about 10-20 minutes to get a good surface charge and then try to start again.

The load noise is most likely the starter trying to engage and the lights flashing is common when the battery is low.

Once started, it takes quite some time to charge the battery while running. If you have a long drive it would be good to help bring the voltage up. Or if you have a charger, charge the battery and then visit you local part store and have them test the battery to make sure this is not a failing battery.

Let me know if I can help further. Please accept and I wish you the best with your repair.