Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

BMW 325i: average cost of 2006 BMW 3 Series tune up? Plus 6

average cost of 2006 BMW 3 Series tune up? Plus 6 ignition coils?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today. What service exactly are you inquiring about?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I took my 2006 BMW 3 series into the shop because it has about 62k miles and it was sluggish as I was driving it- almost to the point that I had question the transmission problems. The mechanic I dropped it off at suggested it probable wasn't the trans but rather needing a maintenancee tune up and is suggesting 6 ingition coils to fix along with engine tune up.

the car is jerking ans shakes at idle to running-

What is your opinion on the potential diagnosis (i understand you have very limited data) and what should I expect to pay for a engine tune up along with the 6 coils?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

are there any warning lights on?

what kind of mechanic did you take it to?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes- check engine immediately light- mechanic here in the city who works on foreign cars but never used them before
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

*

*

*

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST PRESS ACCEPT TO COMPLETE YOUR TRANSACTION AND CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

JUSTANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND THE ACCEPT BUTTON MUST BE PRESSED TO CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

EVEN IF YOU ARE ON A SUBSCRIPTION WITH UNLIMITED QUESTIONS YOU MUST STILL PRESS ACCEPT

THANK YOU

*

*

*

*

Before reading my answer below, please note that you must press the green ACCEPT button in order for me to receive credit for my time and effort. Thank you.

There are about 200 reasons that the check engine light can come on. When it does, the car's computer will store a descriptive fault code which points to the issue. the check engine light does not normally indicate a tune up is needed, it is a failed compononent or operating range out of spec that sets off this light.

It would be exceptionally rare that you need to replace 6 coils - if any - at 62,000. I don't think this is a good recommendation in any way.

There is no such thing as a defined "tune up" for this car. There are services that the car recommends via the on board computer based on mileage and driving conditions. So, this mechanic's definition of a tune up could be anything from just changing the spark plugs to changing every replacable filter and fluid and belt on the car - so this could run anywhere from $100 to $1000 based on what his definition of "tune up" is.

Each coil for this car costs about $55 plus 1.5 to 2 hours labor. Again, this is not something that likely is required, and I would not recommend it unless it is verified by another shop. There is no reason you would have 6 bad coils at 62,000 miles. None.

So, to summarize, the fault code that is stored due to the check engine light being on should point you to the failure. It is unlikely that 6 coils are bad.

My recommendation would be to take the vehicle elsewhere for a second opinion.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

>>>>>PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS ACCEPT <<<<<

thank you in advance.

Steve

Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert