Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Mini: My 2006 Mini Cooper service engine soon light came on

Customer Question

My 2006 Mini Cooper service engine soon light came on today and I am curious is it safe to drive? What could it be?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Brad replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com!

That light comes on to tell you that it detects a failure that could cause it to emit too much pollution. As long as the light isn't flashing it should still be safe to drive - just don't be surprised if you see a reduction in power and/or fuel economy.

Feel free to stop by an auto parts store and get it scanned (many will do this for free). Once you do that you can reply and let me know what fault codes it has and I'll be able to help further.

Don't let them sucker you into buying any parts just yet.. they have a habit of selling parts that don't actually fix the problem. Just let me know the exact fault code(s) and we'll take it from there.

(These codes look like this: P1234)
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't understand... So you suggest taking in to auto part store get it scanned. you say it "should" be safe to drive how do I know if it is safe or not. I don't want to be broken down on the side of the freeway. Will this turn off by itself or will I need to have someone turn it off?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I feel the reply given was very generic. Anyone could of told me this. Not happy want a refund on this site
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is Dan and I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. If it runs good then it will be fine to drive. If you havent noticed a difference in performance its usaully just a emission related problem such as a lose gascap.