Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

04745li floors keep getting wet on interior of car...sunroof cleared

04745li floors keep getting wet on interior of car. had drains in sunroof cleared twice in a year to make sure they were not blocked. seemed to worked until it snowed the other day and i found wet spot again
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

It would be my pleasure to help you with this today.

Can you tell me exactly where you see the water? Does it tend to be on the passenger front floor?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Thank you.

That was my suspicion as I have seen this many time. The real reason for your water leak is due to a clogged drain in the engine compartment on the right side in the well where the engine computer and some electronics are held. There is a drain that has a plastic insert and debris clogs this drain tube. This then fills up this well area and when it reaches a certain point the water can enter the vehicle through the wiring harness or the small E-box fan which has a vent into this area.

To correct this the E-box housing needs to be taken apart and the modules removed. Then the drain needs to be cleaned and I like to drill a hole through the plastic drain so that it can flow more freely to prevent a repeat of this in the future.

I hope this information is helpful. Please remember to press the ACCEPT tab and I wish you the best with your repair. Thank you.,