Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

X5: wont start..cranks..we have tried turning key into aux

My x5 wont start. It cranks but will not start. we have tried turning key into aux. postion several times and this usually works but this time it will not start. We have also tried locking and unlocking the car. Any ideas?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today. So the starter motor turns over as normal but the engine will not start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes that is right.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Does it give any hint of catching at all, or nothing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No it just cranks. We have had this issue for yrs now and we were able to get it started with turning the key into the aux postion a coulple of times and waiting about 10 seconds between then try to start and it would fire now we have tried all of these and none of them are working. The intermitant issue could never be detected by the machanics at bmw shop while it was under warranty but now i believe that what was trying to fail finally has.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

*

*

*

*

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST PRESS ACCEPT TO COMPLETE YOUR TRANSACTION AND CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

JUST ANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND THE ACCEPT BUTTON MUST BE PRESSED TO CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

*

*

*

*

Before reading my answer below, please note that the green "ACCEPT" button must be pressed in order for me to receive credit for my time and effort. Thank you.

You are either missing fuel or spark. Unfortunately this is not something that a quick reset will likely solve. More than likely the fuel pump has failed. You will want to check the fuel pump fuse to make sure it is not blown, and you can also check for power to the fuel pump or listen to see if it is running under the back seat. One other possibility would be a failed crank sensor that would cause a no spark condition. You can check for spark by spraying starting fluid into the intake while cranking (carefully, if you are comfortable doing so). If the engine starts on the starter fluid, then this confirms the problem with fuel delivery. Most likely if the fuse is okay then the fuel pump has failed. The relay is very rare to fail. If I had to wager as to the problem without any further hands on testing being carrier out, I would say most likely the fuel pump is the culprit.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
At bmw they have tested the fuel pump and said that it was ok. Let me keep asking more questions. Where is the fuel pump fuse located? Is it easy to get to the intake so i can spray starter fluid in?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

The fuel pump is located inside the fuel tank, located under the rear seat bench.

.

It is straight forward to spray starter fluid if you are familiar with the system. If you have never done this before on any vehicle then I would not recommend you attempt it as it can cause a backfire.

.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Since I have answered your question, I would kindly ask that you please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I receive credit for doing so.

.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no im good with doig it. Not the fuse to the fuel pump. Is the bench seat easy to lift up will i be able to feel the pump working or just hear the it working?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

you should be able to hear it running, you can also check for power using a multimeter

the seat just yanks up.

.

.

.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I believe that i hear it running. So at the front of the motor behind radiator is intake correct? i will try that.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

the intake is what the tubes from the airbox run to

.

.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried that also, will it take alot or starter fluid to get it to fire? I sparyed alot but no fire. What should i try next?

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

it should not take much.

if there is no spark then you likely have a failed crank sensor or a failure of the ignition/engine control system.

.

.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how do i repair these?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

*

*

*

*

.

*

*

*

*

the crank sensor costs about $100 and can be tested with a scope, or just replaced.

a problem in the ingition / engine computer would require dealership testing equipment to find and fix.

.

.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i guess i should let them test it. dont you think?

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
That would be the best course of action at this point.

.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help. Since i had this issue before my warranty was over that they might cover? Or if i bitch enough. I did take this issue to corperate but the issue never should up on them. It is here now though. What do you think?

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

you are welcome.

please do not forget that you must click the accept button for me to receive credit for my help

if you had the issue prior to warranty expiration then you have a chance of having it covered. Complain to your dealer and push it up to corporate or to customer service with bmw head office.

the more you complain with bmw, the more likely you are to get taken care of. I have seen this work time and time again.

>>>>>PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS ACCEPT <<<<<

thank you in advance.

Steve

Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks for you help and i will take care of you now thanks again. Take care.
They know me there very well and i will push this up the line.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

you are welcome

best of luck