Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

Bmw: turn signal..high beam..was intermittent..ignition switch

I have a 1998 528i.

The turn signal and high beam indicator lights on the dash stopped working. At first, this was intermittent and then they stopped altogether.

At the suggestion of another Bmw mechanic on this site, I replaced the ignition switch which did not fix the problem. Other things I have tried, checked fuses, disconnected the battery for 5 minutes. Also, there is no clicking sound when signals are on. The actual signals on outside on all four corners are working as are the high beams.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.

Unfortunately all of these functions are actually integrated into the circuit board of the instrument cluster. The way to correct this will be to replace the instrument cluster. A used cluster cannot be used as it will set a manipulation dot. With a replacement new cluster it will also need to be programmed to match the vehicle options and to set it to the correct odometer reading.

I hope this information is helpful. Please accept and best wishes on your repair. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry but I don't find this answer very helpful.

This has been a disappointing experience. I paid for the first answer and then spent $75 on the ignition switch which did not fix the problem. Now it appears that I just paid for a second answer for a repair that sounds expensive but I am not confident that this will fix the problem.

Expert:  Roger replied 2 years ago.

You have not yet accepted so you have not been fully charged. The money is still part of you JustAnswer account. Unfortunately though I am very familiar with how BMW's work. On your vehicle you do not have a blinker relay. This is integrated into you instrument cluster as well as all the lights for warning. There are a few bulbs on the back of the cluster but these are backlighting lights only.

If you can give me the last seven of the VIN I can tell you the cost of the repair.

I did give an honest answer and that is my goal.

Please let me know if I can help further. Please accept but if you feel that I have not given good advice then your choice is to not accept.

Thank you for your consideration.

Best Regards.

Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience: 10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.