George
George, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Technician over 20 years BMW Dealership Experience. BMW Auto Repair Shop Business Owner
8183308

2001 BMW 325CI: MY CAR WONT..PASSENGER SIDE..CRANK..NEW FUSE THERE

I HAVE A 2001 BMW 325CI AND MY CAR WONT TURN OVER AT ALL EVERYTHING TURNS ON ON THE INSIDE...I HAD A FRIEND LOOK AT IT AND HE WENT TO THE PASSENGER SIDE OF MY CAR AND PULLED UP THE CARPET AND TOOK OF THE SIDE PANEL AND EXPOSED SOME WIRES...HE SAID IT WAS SOME KIND OF FUSE ...I SEEN LOTS OF WIRES THE BROWN ONES IN PARTICULAR LEAD TO A A FUSE SUPPOSE HE MESSEED WITH THOSE CORDS AND TOLD ME TO TRY TO TURN IT ON AND IT CRANK UP I WAS SHOCKED...HE SAID I NEEDED A NEW FUSE THERE NOW IT HAS HAPPENED AGAIN JUST NOW AND IM STUCK I MESSED AROUND WITH THE CORDS BUT THE CAR WONT TURN OVER....CAN YOU HELP ME IDENTIFY WHAT THIS CALLED AND TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO DO OR WHAT MIGHT BE WRONG?
Category: BMW
Expert:  JacobTD replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer I am Jacob

Please provide me with the vin# XXXXX if you could snap a pic of the location it always helps.

First off... Using Just KEY. Lock drivers door twice and hold. Then unlock twice and hold... Wait for windows to roll down. At least drivers will If its in relearn.

Then Lock twice again and hold, await for windows to close, Unlock twice and insert in ignition. Turb on, wait a min. then try.

If you could also snap a pic of dash gages, while keys on would help.
Await yor reply

ALSO is this convertanle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok if i snapped a pic of it how can you recieve it do you have an email i can send it to right from my phone. no it is not a convertable
Expert:  JacobTD replied 2 years ago.
use what looks like the paper clip. I am not allowed to provide direct contact info. You may need to email yourself on your phone, and retreave on computer.
I am looking through alot of data, and there is alot in that area. Just want to be clearn on what and where.

awaiting your reply
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok hold on ill do that now

Expert:  JacobTD replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to answer your questions untill we get it figured out!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok cool

vin number is XXXXX

OK I TRIED YOUR LOCK THEORY AND WHEN I UNLOCKED IT WORKED THE WINDOWS DID GO DOWN AND WHEN I LOCKED TWICE THE WINDOWS DIDNT GO BACK UP ...NEITHER DID THE CAR START AT ALLgraphicgraphicgraphic

Expert:  JacobTD replied 2 years ago.
okay give me a min...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
in the picture if you can see its a lil dark but right there where the screw driver is is where my problem lies there are some brown wires i beleive theres a fuse there
Expert:  JacobTD replied 2 years ago.
graphic
Does thepassenger side kick panel look like this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
huh?
Expert:  JacobTD replied 2 years ago.
the side front panel under glovebox... remove it, do you see this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok this is more on the entrance of the floor and its wires like brown wires
Expert:  JacobTD replied 2 years ago.
Please explain in DETAIL... every step of getting in and trying to start the car. Step by step. listen for fuel pump and actuators to engage. What happens when you turn key to start?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok when i get in the car i do i push down the cluth and i try to start the car everything turns on but the engine i do hear the fuel pump hist and stop after alittle ....i get nothing no turn over no nothing no clicking ...i had this problem before and a friend of mines did something to the wires in the pics i attached below ...my questions are what is this called in the picture and how can i get my car to start again. please helpgraphicgraphicgraphic
Expert:  JacobTD replied 2 years ago.
PLease remove seat and take a better picture. Im wondering if this is alarm related. But nothing to do with alarm is under there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
i just need someone that can help me fix my problem
Expert:  George replied 2 years ago.

Ok I have reviewed what you have discussed so far with the prior expert, we are going to start from the beginning so we can get to the bottom of your problem.

To start the brown wires you have been asking about are ground wires for serveral different circuits throughout the vehicle, the connector they are all plugged into is called a bridge connector, and all this means it is a common ground point and it serves as a point to hook up several ground wires instead of having many different ground mounting points.

George, BMW Technician
Experience: BMW Master Technician over 20 years BMW Dealership Experience. BMW Auto Repair Shop Business Owner
Expert:  George replied 2 years ago.
Do you have another key for the vehicle, if you do I want you to try to start the vehicle with that key and let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i dont any other recommendations
Expert:  George replied 2 years ago.
Yes do you have a Digital Volt Meter so you can test to see if the proper voltage is being applied to the starter solenoid when the key is in the start position?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A friend of mines is on the way with one
Expert:  George replied 2 years ago.

Ok great I want you to check the wire that goes to the starter solenoid for battery voltage when the key is in the start position.

If you have the proper battery voltage then the starter is no good and will need replacement.

If you don't have the proper battery voltage then the vehicle will need to be hooked up to diagnostic equipment, because it can be related to the EWS system and because there are several components in that system that can cause this, it will need to be tested while hooked up to diagnostics.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where is the solenoid located
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm a bit confused where is this wire at that goes to the starter solenoid
Expert:  George replied 2 years ago.

The solenoid is item # 1 in the photo you will have a large red battery cable going to it, and a small wire that is connected to one of the terminals, this small wire is the wire you want to take the voltage measurement at, you want to have at least 12volts on this wire.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok and where is this located on my car 2001 BMW 325ci
Expert:  George replied 2 years ago.

It is located on the drivers side of the engine underneath the intake manifold, it is a very tight area to get into so be patient so no further damage is done to any of the surrounding components, because there are several plastic components that can break if your not careful.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Expert:  George replied 2 years ago.

Here is a picture of the starter location from the top of the vehicle with the intake manifold removed. It is all the way at the rear portion with the 2 cables going to it with the RED cable ends.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here