Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

BMW 530i: The stock CD changer in trunk of my 2002 BMW 530

The stock CD changer in trunk of my 2002 BMW 530 has problems. While playing a disc in the changer I tried to select another disc, but it read no disc (although there was one there). After starting the car again I get a "CD Check" message and then "No Discs" I have no problem with CD in dash. I've tried using a different CD cassette holder, changing discs, taking out the changer unit and replugging in the wiring with no success. I'm not sure of the mechanics of how it actually determines if the six CD slots have anything in them, so I'm not sure how to check it our further. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Rich Amlin

*

*

*

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST PRESS ACCEPT TO COMPLETE YOUR TRANSACTION AND CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

JUSTANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND THE ACCEPT BUTTON MUST BE PRESSED TO CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

EVEN IF YOU ARE ON A SUBSCRIPTION WITH UNLIMITED QUESTIONS YOU MUST STILL PRESS ACCEPT

THANK YOU

*

*

*

*

Before reading my answer below, please note that you must press the green ACCEPT button in order for me to receive credit for my time and effort. Thank you.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

This behaviour usually (well, pretty much always) indicates a failure of the changer. I would unhook the car's battery for an hour to reset the system, but almost certainly the changer will need to be replaced.

I am sorry I can't have better news, but this is the reality of the situation and is a truthful and accurate answer to your question. I do trust that my honesty and quick response is appreciated.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
At the bottom of the changer there is a pink "chip" that has 3A/12V on it. Is that some kind of fuse or something that if replaced might fix the problem? There was never any problem playing discs, just recognizing that they were in the magazine.
Rich

yes that is a fuse. it is not likely the issue but it won't hurt to replace it. since the changer is operating / accepting the magazine / cycling discs, this indicates that it has power.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Since I have answered your question, I would kindly ask that you please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I receive credit for doing so.

thank you in advance.

Steve