George
George, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Technician over 20 years BMW Dealership Experience. BMW Auto Repair Shop Business Owner
8183308

BMW 323i I have a 2000 BMW 323i model and the check engine

I have a 2000 BMW 323i model and the "check engine light comes on" when I am running the engine. I went to Autozone who put it on their analyser and the code P1478 shows on their analyser but they cannot tell by their manual what symptom this is. Can you tell me what the code P1478 would be?
Category: BMW
Expert:  George replied 3 years ago.

George :

The P1478 code is indicating a small leak in the fuel evaporative system. This is basically the fuel vent system. I would recommend that you take a look at the seal on your gas cap, verify that it looks fine and that the cap secures properly when installed. Then reset the fault codes and see if this code returns. If it does not, you likely had a point where the cap was not fully closed or you had the engine running with the cap removed. If the code returns, there is likely a leak in the vent system and it must be tracked down (or the gas cap is faulty). The proper diagnostic testing of the fuel vapor recovery system (for a leak) is a pressurized smoke test.

Customer:

When you say to reset the fault codes is that something I can do myself without taking it to mechanic?

George :

Only if you have your own code reader.

Customer:

Also would you recommend that the gas cap just be replaced. It is the same one that came with the vehcile when we purchased it back in the year 2000?

Customer:

Can I go to the BMW internet site and find these codes myself?

George :

Yes I would recommend replacing the gas cap, after this amount of time the rubber seal dries out and cracks and will cause a leak.

George :

Yes you can, but BMW does charge a fee to access their site.

Customer:

are you still there?

George :

Yes.

Customer:

I will do what you recommend. Thank you

George :

Your welcome.

Customer:

have a nice dau

Customer:

day

George :

You do the same.

George, BMW Technician
Experience: BMW Master Technician over 20 years BMW Dealership Experience. BMW Auto Repair Shop Business Owner
Expert:  George replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much,

George

I will always leave positive feedback all I ask is for the same.