George
George, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Technician over 20 years BMW Dealership Experience. BMW Auto Repair Shop Business Owner
8183308

745li: recharged my battery and i..engine malfunction warning

HI. I just recharged my battery and I'm getting an engine malfunction warning red on my 745 LI 2004 BMW. I was thinking it had something to with the battery dieing. Any thoughts?
Category: BMW
Expert:  George replied 3 years ago.

George :

Is the system charging properly?

JACUSTOMER-ywaw4nl3- :

the first charger i used didn't work last night. Used a different one this morning and charged properly.

George :

Is the alternator charging properly?

JACUSTOMER-ywaw4nl3- :

unknown

JACUSTOMER-ywaw4nl3- :

how could i tell?

George :

Is the battery light on in the instrument cluster?

JACUSTOMER-ywaw4nl3- :

no

JACUSTOMER-ywaw4nl3- :

the car starts but the malfunction liht comes on and says power is reduced. It sounds weird wile it idles.

George :

Yes the engine power is reduced, how long was the battery dead?

JACUSTOMER-ywaw4nl3- :

1 night. I don't use the car that much and my kids were playing in it last night

JACUSTOMER-ywaw4nl3- :

drive about 15 miles per day.

George :

How long was the battery dead for?

JACUSTOMER-ywaw4nl3- :

I let idle for about 5-10 minutes thinking the battery needed further charging but after 5 minutes its starts revving weird. sorry about the lack of tech knowledge - not a car guy

JACUSTOMER-ywaw4nl3- :

should i try and run it longer?

George :

How long was the battery dead for?

JACUSTOMER-ywaw4nl3- :

BTW - got a new battery a few years ago.

JACUSTOMER-ywaw4nl3- :

1 day

George :

Ok I want you to try something, I will explain it now.

JACUSTOMER-ywaw4nl3- :

ok

George :

I would like you to hook up the battery charger, then insert the key and push the start button just until all of the instrument cluster lights come on, do not start the engine. Leave it like this for one minute and then turn it off and remove they key, wait another 3 minutes and then start the vehicle and let it idle for a few minutes. (Make sure all the doors are closed during this procedure) Then let me know what happens.

George :

With the idle.

JACUSTOMER-ywaw4nl3- :

will do.

George :

Ok.

JACUSTOMER-ywaw4nl3- :

looks like everything is now normal. engine light is now gone with current idle. still hooked up to charger.

JACUSTOMER-ywaw4nl3- :

idle sound much better

George :

Ok it lost it's initaliztion for the electronic throttle motor, but I also want you to fully charge the battery to make sure there are no further issues, and then you should be fine.

JACUSTOMER-ywaw4nl3- :

you are the man. I'll let it continue to charge. thank you.

George :

Your welcome.

Customer:

sorry - I'm trying to figure out how I pay you.

George, BMW Technician
Experience: BMW Master Technician over 20 years BMW Dealership Experience. BMW Auto Repair Shop Business Owner
Expert:  George replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much,

George

I will always leave positive feedback all I ask is for the same.

Expert:  George replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for the Bonus,

George