Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

BMW e46 m3: I have an e46 m3 with an airbag light on. I have

I have an e46 m3 with an airbag light on. I have the peak srs code reader. It is pulling code table 04 fault code 06. In the Peak manual it says this fault code says: Firing circuit, side airbag front right side. I have already tried switching door airbags to see if problem might be the actual airbag and when I switched them it still gave the same code. Meaning it isn't the airbag. I am stumped, have any ideas?

*

*

*

*

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST PRESS ACCEPT TO COMPLETE YOUR TRANSACTION AND CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

EVEN IF YOU ARE ON A SUBSCRIPTION WITH UNLIMITED QUESTIONS YOU MUST STILL PRESS ACCEPT

*

*

*

*

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today. Check the wiring and connections. Look very carefully in the connectors to make sure there is no corrosion.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have used this service before, but I can't remember how it works. I thought the last step was to press accept. It didn't show any answer, so if I press accept it will end conversation
The answer is to check the wiring and connections. And to look closely in the connectors for any corrosion or broken pins, etc. The conversation does not end when you press accept, you can always post back at a later date if you have a follow up question, even after pressing accept.

.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry, I see your answer now. Are you talking about just the connection at the airbag, or are there other places to look?
Yes at the air bag. If you find nothing you can check the restraint module under the center console.

.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just checked by removing airbag and taking apart the clip. no corrosion and wire connections looked very secure. I will hit accept know, but I also would like to know where under the center console the restraint module is. Thanks,
Jason
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just checking in,
did you receive my question about where and how I can get to restraint module?

Thanks,
Jason

it is directly under the console. you need to remove the whole console to access it

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just for clarity. You mean the section with the arm rest on the back side and on the front ends at the ashtray and includes the 6spd shift arm?

Thanks,
Jason
Yes
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So I found where the twisted blue and brown right airbag wires go into the climate control computer. I opened connection, cleaned and reinstalled. Really it looked fine, I also reopened the connection at airbag in door and made sure it was tight looking too. I connected battery, reset srs and it pulled the same code: Firing circuit, side airbag front right side. where would you check next?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I now pulled the entire plug that goes to climate control computer to see how that would effect code reader. Oddly it pulled the exact same code, but did not include a code for left door airbag. I thought that was odd because both airbags use that connector and were both disconnected when I retested. Anyway the fact that it was pulling that same code with the airbag from that point back indicates the trouble has to be beyond where I have gotten. I don't know which system or where to even check from hear. All thoughts would help.

Thanks,
Jason
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I Have replaced the srs module the airbag is good the wiring is good and the clip to the airbag is good. What other part would cause the airbag light to go on and continue to pull code 04 fault 06 Firing circuit, side airbag front right side?