Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2001 BMW 530I: The speedometer, odometer, and ABS (DSC) are..fuses

I have a 2001 BMW 530I --- The speedometer, odometer, and ABS (DSC) are inoperative.
Already checked the fuses and all looked OK.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

*

*

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST PRESS ACCEPT TO COMPLETE YOUR TRANSACTION AND CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

JUSTANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND THE ACCEPT BUTTON MUST BE PRESSED TO CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

EVEN IF YOU ARE ON A SUBSCRIPTION WITH UNLIMITED QUESTIONS YOU MUST STILL PRESS ACCEPT

THANK YOU

*

*

*

*

Before reading my answer below, please note that you must press the green ACCEPT button in order for me to receive credit for my time and effort. Thank you.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

When these warning lights come on together, it indicates a fault within the ABS / traction control system on the car. The ABS system is what feeds the speed to the speedometer, so this is why it will not function either.

There are two very common things that cause these lights to come on together, a faulty wheel speed sensor or a failure within the ABS / traction control module itself.

You will need to have the fault memory read from the car to determine exactly what your issue is. If a wheel speed sensor is determined to be the problem, then you will need to replace that sensor (about $150).

If the module is determined to be the problem, then the module itself will need to be replaced or sent out to be fixed. Two good places that fix these are Module Masters and BBA Reman. You can find both on google. They charge about $300 to repair one of these modules. Replacing the module with a new one will cost around $1000, so sending yours out to be rebuilt is the best option should the module turn out to be the failed component.

Again, you will need to have the fault memory read from the vehicle to confirm 100%, but chances are the problem is either a wheel speed sensor or the abs/traction control module. It

Please be sure to drive carefully as you do not have ABS or traction control functionality on your vehicle if these lights are on.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with your vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

>>>>>PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS ACCEPT <<<<<

thank you in advance.

Steve