Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2001 BMW 325i: error codes P0420 AND P0430..catalyst..codes come

I have a 2001 BMW 325i with 122000 miles. I have been getting error codes P0420 AND P0430 (catalyst efficiency below threshold on both banks). I've reset the codes twice and the codes come back in about 2-3 weeks. During this time, the car passed smog inspection with no problem. If one code or the other came on, I would assume the problem was an 02 sensor or a catalytic converter, but for both codes to come on simultaneously just doesn't make sense to me. One possibly related issue is that the fuel pump failed while traveling 75 MPH a few months before the problem started.
My question is: Is there any likely cause for for both codes to come on at the same time?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Can I have the last 7 digits of your vin?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
FU91792

thanks one moment please

*

*

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST PRESS ACCEPT TO COMPLETE YOUR TRANSACTION AND CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

JUSTANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND THE ACCEPT BUTTON MUST BE PRESSED TO CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

EVEN IF YOU ARE ON A SUBSCRIPTION WITH UNLIMITED QUESTIONS YOU MUST STILL PRESS ACCEPT

THANK YOU

*

*

*

*

Before reading my answer below, please note that you must press the green ACCEPT button in order for me to receive credit for my time and effort. Thank you.

These codes are generally caused by a bad cat, or possibly bad o2s. Also a clog could do it as well.

However, they can also be caused by an exhaust leak if you are looking for a possibility for both at once.

I would check for an exhaust leak. If none is found, a proper real time diagnostic on a sophisticated diagnostic computer that can read live data would be advised, as trying to solve this using simple p codes will be very difficult.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

>>>>>PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS ACCEPT <<<<<

thank you in advance.

Steve