Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

1998 bmw 740i: The air conditioning stopped working..auxiliary

I have a 1998 bmw 740i. The air conditioning stopped working. I took it to a european mechanic and determined that the auxiliary fan was not working. I had the fan replaced and the air conditioning worked for about a week. Then when I would start traveling on the freeway for about ten miles it would stop working again. I had a diagnostics done by the european mechanic and he said he didn't find anything wrong. What could be the problem?
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today. Is the new aux man still working?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What do I need to do to fix the problem? Are there any pressure or heat sensors that may be bad?
Hi, please read my question. Does the new aux fan work properly?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. It comes on when the engine starts and runs all the time.
What temperature does the outside temperature display read?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
90 to 95 degrees.
Does it only fail to cool on the highway? Does it cool if you rev the engine or at idle?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It does not cool at idle . If we rev the engine to 3500 rpm for about two minutes it will start cooling again for a short period of time, about 5 minutes.

*

*

*

*

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST PRESS ACCEPT TO COMPLETE YOUR TRANSACTION AND CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

JUSTANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND ACCEPT MUST BE PRESSED TO CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

*

*

*

*

ok. Assuming the system is fully charged with freon, the compressor clutch is failing on you. Double check that the system is fully charged. If it is, the compressor clutch is the problem.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

>>>>>PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS ACCEPT <<<<<

thank you in advance.

Steve