Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

BMW 325i I have a 2001 bmw 325i and I have a coolant leak,

I have a 2001 bmw 325i and I have a coolant leak, BCH imports said it needs the radiator and expansion tank to be replaced. The radiator is a bit costly. if the leak is just on radiator or a crack in the expanion tank, only one of it should be replaced right? I am confused as both are suggested for replacement
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

Please note that even if you are on a subscription you must still press ACCEPT. I only receive credit for my answer if you press accept.

Hi there,

You are correct. Only the leaking part needs to be replaced. However, maybe the expansion tank is leaking, but they see an imminent leak in the radiator or some other issue with it. If that is the case (and you trust them) then it would be best to replace both at the same time. You don't want to drive off only to have the rad spring a leak next month and cause you to overheat the engine. They might be doing you a favor by pointing out an imminent failure.

My advice would be to ask them further questions about why they are suggesting to replace both, if its really needed right away, ask them to show you the leaks (point them out on the car), etc.

Please let me know if you have further questions on this topic. If you have additional question on other BMW items please feel free to request me in the future. Thanks.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

thank you in advance.