Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2006 330i: drove..another 200 miles back home at 80 mph..coolant level

2006 330i: yesterday had to add coolant 2 times over travelling 200 miles at 100 mph. Then drove another 200 miles back home at 80 mph and did not have to add anything. Checked the coolant level this morning and it was fine. The hoses looked to be dry. At 100 mph, where could the leak be?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

*

*

*

*

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST PRESS ACCEPT TO COMPLETE YOUR TRANSACTION AND CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

JUSTANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND THE ACCEPT BUTTON MUST BE PRESSED TO CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

EVEN IF YOU ARE ON A SUBSCRIPTION WITH UNLIMITED QUESTIONS YOU MUST STILL PRESS ACCEPT

THANK YOU

*

*

*

*

Before reading my answer below, please note that you must press the green ACCEPT button in order for me to receive credit for my time and effort. Thank you.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

These leaks can be anywhere, and can be near impossible to find with the naked eye. In some cases, they can leak down on top of the underbody protection and sit there, so they never really reach the ground. Other times, they will only leak while the car is in operation, making them nearly impossible to spot.

What you need to do to find a stubborn leak like this is to have the cooling system pressure tested. This will pressurize the system and reveal the location of the leak.

The most common place for leaks is the coolant resevior, but again, the leak could be from any number of hard to spot places.

If the coolant gets too low, the engine can overheat which can in turn cause expensive damage. For this reason, I would suggest you have a pressure test carried out ASAP and replace the leaky part.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

>>>>>PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS ACCEPT <<<<<

thank you in advance.

Steve