Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

2001 bmw 740il: The Engine Failsafe Program light came..running rough

Customer Question

I have a 2001 bmw 740il. The Engine Failsafe Program light came on and the car is running rough. What is the problem and how do I fix it.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is Steve and it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

Are there any other warning lights on?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

No other lights are on.

Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

*

*

*

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST PRESS ACCEPT TO COMPLETE YOUR TRANSACTION AND CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

JUSTANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND THE ACCEPT BUTTON MUST BE PRESSED TO CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

EVEN IF YOU ARE ON A SUBSCRIPTION WITH UNLIMITED QUESTIONS YOU MUST STILL PRESS ACCEPT

THANK YOU

*

*

*

*

Before reading my answer below, please note that you must press the green ACCEPT button in order for me to receive credit for my time and effort. Thank you.

Thanks,

There are a number of things that can cause this, actually. Anything from a simple sensor problem to a massive failure can cause this.

There is no way to know why exactly you are getting this message without reading the fault memory out of the vehicle. So, the only thing you can do at this point is take the vehicle to a shop with the proper equipment to read out the fault lot. This will point you to the issue. Without reading the faults, all a person can do is guess, which can get very expensive, very quickly.

I am sorry I can't have a simpler answer for you, but this is the reality of the situation and I do trust that my honestly is appreciated.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

>>>>>PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS ACCEPT <<<<<

thank you in advance.

Steve