Mike, Garage owner
Experience:  34 years of self employed vehicle diagnostic & repair
9261905

BMW 525i: PLEASE HELP! BMW 2006 525i WONT START-BATTERY OK- My

Customer Question

PLEASE HELP! BMW 2006 525i WONT START-BATTERY OK-

My 2006 525i was running completely fine, no warning lights, etc, nothing strange. When I went to start it later that night it would not start! Battery seems to be fine. I had it jumped, still nothing. All the lights, radio are still turning on. It recognizes the spare key. It's not even clicking over. No "rev". When you turn it it's just dead. Please help! I cant even get it to a dealer since I live 2 hrs away. I cant even get it out of my driveway. Being a female I'm always nervous of getting taken by a local mechanic that might not know what they're doing. THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today. When you jumped it, you got zero respomse when you tried to start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes, not even a little. look at batterty indicator on the battery it says if green it has sufficient charge.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

*

*

*

*

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST PRESS ACCEPT TO COMPLETE YOUR TRANSACTION AND CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

JUSTANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND THE ACCEPT BUTTON MUST BE PRESSED TO CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

THANK YOU

*

*

*

*

There are a few things that might cause this1) bad key - try another one

2) bad brake light switch - make sure your brake lights work. If not, the switch

3) shifter not fully in park (auto transmission only) - try moving it around a

4) bad ews immobilizer (or car access system) - nothing can be done, dealer equ

5) bad transmission position switch (auto transmission only, located on side of

6) bad clutch switch (manual transmission only, located above clutch pedal) - thi

7) Totally dead starter / solenoid - not likely, you would probably get some

8) bad ignition switch/cylinder - also unlikely as you would generally not get alI hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle. If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

>>>>>>PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS ACCEPT <<<<<thank you in advance.Stevel other functions / power to come on inside the car in that case.

noise from it if this were the case.s is what signals the car that the clutch is depressed and is safe to start. transmission, accessed from under car) - this is what signals the car that it is in neutral/park and is safe to start.ipment is required to fix. When this goes bad or out of alignment, the car does not get the proper signal that the correct key is present, and therefore, the car will not start and the starter will not be allowed to engage.bit, try starting in both park and neutral is above the brake pedal.There are a few things that can cause this. While not all can be trouble-shooted at home, I hope this information will be helpful to you, and possibly yield a solution.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Sorry my answer got garbled for some reason. If you can give me a few min I can try to repost.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Are you still there?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I would like a little more info on # XXXXX and 5. # XXXXX has happened before but was able to work again. I tried moving it around and starting in neutral nothing worked. also tried another key. same result.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
If the car does not think it is in park or neutral, it will not start. Sometimes if the shifter is not fully in park or neutral, wiggling it will fix that. Sometimes though, the sensor / switch on the transmission responsible for sending this signal also fails, which results in a no start also. Moving ths shiftter around can sometimes help, sometimes not.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Since I have answered your question, I would kindly ask that you please press "ACCEPT" so that I receive credit for doing so.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so if its the sensor. theres nothing I can do. my dealership is 2 hours away. so if theres anything i can replace here that would be great. I'm just trying to narrow it down in order to avoid buying a part that might not be it. Being that I've had this problem before (shifter) and it caused it not to start I'm thinking (hoping) it's that. Hitting the shifter up into park worked for me last time but this time it's not taking. Thanks for your patience again in walking me through this. I've got to get this car to start & you're my only hopeEmbarassed--no presure LOL
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately it could just as easily be one of the other items as well, so I would not blindly buy / install a part without further diagnosis being carried out. Also this is not a part that you can easily install at home unfortunately.

If there is a BMW or European import specialist shop near you they should be able to help you, and avoid the 2 hour trip to the dealer.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
BMW 2006 525i wont start.
Battery ok.
Have had trouble once before when gear shift wasnt in place and had to wiggle/knock it into PARK then it started fine.

After this time, I've wiggled/knocked gear shift again to no avail.
Seems like the similar issue that I've had & since I never had that resolved but not 100% sure.

Had Battery jumped-Still nothing
Tried other key-Still nothing

When turning key engine not "REVING" or cranking, just dead-like.
PLEASE HELP! I cant even get it out of my dirveway
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

I have already answered your question.

It is most likely that your transmission position switch is bad. The car will need to be towed to confirm and for the repair to be carried out.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

what else would you like to know or are you looking for in an answer that I am not providing? I have answered your question as well as your follow up questions, so I am not sure what I am missing? Please let me know and I will be happy to assist further.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Steve- Are you able to walk me throught the Transmission Position Swtich diagnosis?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

This is not something that can be done at home. It requires special equipment. You are not going to be able to diagnose this at home, or repair it.

I am sorry that I cannot have a simple fix for you that will allow you to drive your car, but this is the reality of the situation and I am just being honest with you - which I expect is appreciated.

You will need to have the car towed to a shop at this point, there is no way for you to diagnose or fix this yourself in your driveway. It is not uncommon at all for vehicle failures to be un-fixable at home...

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just had a mechanic run a diagnostic check with his computer but nothing came up as an issue. Could it just be that BMW has a specific computer plug-in? My nearest BMW dealership is 2 hours away and I cant even get it out of the driveway
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
The dealer had noted that it possibly may be the ignition switch. Something about a safety feature that the ignition does not read the key correctly & allow the car to start. It is not the key since both our regular & spare are still not able to start the car
Expert:  Mike replied 3 years ago.
Hello , My name is MIKE.. As you have opted the previous expert out, I will help you further.

You have ruled out the keys most likely - as you say, if both are the same..so that does tend to rule that out.

You do appear to have an immobilser system fault -this can inc the ign switch as its all a part of it - the Ews system etc ..

This Bmw you have - the 06 model, has very an excellent security system on it, meaning that its secure against theft - but when they go wrong, as appears to be the case here, the owner cant start it neither !

In this case, with this car, to progress with it to a fix, you will have to have the car plugged into a suitable diagnostic machine via its diagnostic socket to determine teh exact area of fault as above..and then it can be sorted out. This ,on this type of vehicle, is generally going to mean getting the car recovered to the dealers Im afraid -as they have the correct equipment unless you can find a local garage suitably equipped.

So botXXXXX XXXXXne on this one is, you can't progress anymore on this Im afraid on a diy basis - the security system has to be dealt with the proper plug in diagnostic equipment.

This all assumes your battery has a good / full charge - a low battery can can cause all manner of electronic system glitches so do just be sure of that first ..and then progress as needed as above.

Im very pleased to have helped you -

Please click the Accept button for me now - Thank You ...and if you do need / wish to get back to me after - you can do so just by coming back to this post and use the Reply button - your reply will then come straight back to me .. and Im always happy to help further....

.Kind Rgds to you - MIKE.