Sam, BMW Master technician
Experience:  BMW S.T.E.P. graduate, 10 years BMW dealership experience
17415854

2006 325i: Yesterday, the coolant light went on

Customer Question

i have a 2006 325i. Yesterday, the coolant light went on. First yellow, then red. I pulled over after about 15 minutes (when I could find a safe place). The car was losing power and I couldn't climb the grade ahead. After waiting wth the engine off for ~ 20 minutes, I started again and drove 5 mins to a service station. I put water in the radiator. I started off again and the lights went on. I drove another 20 mins.
Today, the light goes on right away again.
Just last week I had the car in for regular maintenance and the check list showed nothing wrong with any thing.
Any body have any ideas?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Sam :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

Sam :

Is your vehicle an E46 or E90 body style?

Sam :

Is this a coolant level light?

Sam :
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi -- I dont know what you mean by e46 or e90. Its a 4 door automatic...325i.
Its the coolant warning light -- looks like a thermometer in water.
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Ok, a 2006 325 is an E90 body style. This is the engineering designation given by BMW. It is how the vehicle body styles are identified.

The warning you are talking about is the overheat warning.

Is there coolant in the overflow tank or is there a leak you can see?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Since I just las week had it serviced (regular maintence under the warranty), I assume it had all appropriate fluids at necessary levels. I dont know / see any leaks. If there was a problem wouldnt it have been picked up in the BMW maintenance assessment last week?
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.
Not necessarily. It sounds like there is an issue with your electric water pump. This is a pretty common failure in which the pump will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok...great. am hoping that its not major, that its covered under the warranty and that I didnt do damage by driving it for the short time that I did.
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.
If you didn't drive it far you should be ok.
Please don't forget to press the accept tab if you as satisfied with my answer.
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.