Sam, BMW Master technician
Experience:  BMW S.T.E.P. graduate, 10 years BMW dealership experience

BMW 328i: followed all the instructions to connect the bluetooth

Ihave a BMW 328i sedan and i followed all the instructions to connect the bluetooth but it did not work. what can i do?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Sam :

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

Sam :

Can you please describe how you are trying to pair the phone?

Customer:

I followed the instructions given by the dealer

Sam :

Verbally or did they tru to pair the phone for you?

Customer:

not verbally. it was in writing

Sam :

What kind of phone are you trying to pair?

Customer:

a sony ericcson experia x10

Customer:

do you have an answer?

Sam :

What cellular carrier is the phone with?

Customer:

AT&T. the problem i have is with the system on the car.

Sam :

I understand. The problem may just be the compatibility with the car and the phone. The experia 10 is not an approved phone.

Sam :

Can I please get the last 7 digits of your VIN?

Customer:

if you are aware of the procedure then you would understand my initial question. the instructions are as follow. i get in the car, press the send /receive button for 1 second, then turn the ignition on and press the send/receive botton for 3 seconds. the words bluetooth paring should appear on the screen but this is not happening. this is what i would like to know. why nothing is appearing on the screen

Sam :

I have never heard of this. Here is a Youtube video. It will walk you through the pairing procedure.

Sam :

It sounds like the dealership is confused on how to pair a phone.

Customer:

i noticed on the video the when the menu button was pressed the phone icon appeared on the screen. this does not happen in my car. do you why?

Sam :

You mean in the radion main menu?

Sam :

Sorry, I meant the radios main menu.

Customer:

yes

Sam :

This means that either the TCU (telephone control module) has failed or your vehicle is not equipped with a TCU/bluetooth. Have you ever used the bluetooth?

Customer:

no, i just bought the car yesterday and i am trying to activate the bluetooth. there are sybbols on the steering wheel and the console. which means the car is equipped with bluetooth

Sam :

The steering wheels are universal, so cars without bluetooth get the telephone button too. I'd be willing to be the car is not equipped with bluetooth. If I can get the last 7 digits of your VIN I can check if your car has the bluetooth option.

Customer:

i do not have this available now. i will check with the dealer tomorrow, thanks for your help

Sam :

You are welcome. PLease don't forget to press the accept tab so I get credit for my answers.

Customer:

ok i will thanks again, goodnight

Sam :

Thank You!

Sam, BMW Master technician
Experience: BMW S.T.E.P. graduate, 10 years BMW dealership experience