Sam, BMW Master technician
Experience:  BMW S.T.E.P. graduate, 10 years BMW dealership experience

BMW 325i My BMW will not start it turns but will not crank

My BMW will not start it turns but will not crank up what could this be? It is 2003 325i with about 120k miles.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Sam :

Does the engine turn over?

Sam :

Do you hear any noise at all when turning the key to the "start" position?

Customer:

Yes it sound like it is going to start but I won't fire up.

Customer:

The battery seems like it is fine, not sluggish at all.

Customer:

It turns over it just won't start.

Sam :

With worn spark plugs these engines can tend to flood when trying to start. try holding the gas pedal to the floor while cranking.

Customer:

I tried that and nothing

Sam :

Do you know where your fuse box is located?

Customer:

Yes

Sam :

Try to remove the fuel pump fuse and crank the car again with the gas pedal to the floor

Sam :

To your knowlege, has the fuel pump and filter ever been replaced?

Sam :

How about the spark plugs?

Customer:

The fuel pump and filter have never been replaced and it has been a couple years on the spark plugs

Customer:

Actually I don't know where the fuse box is I had 1998 before it was in my glove compartment

Sam :

In that case, we may be looking at a bad fuel pump. The fuel pumps in these vehicles will usually last about 90,000 miles.

Sam :

The fuse box is still in the roof of the glove box. you have to twist the 2 white tabs to release it.

Customer:

I tried without the fuel pump fuse and same result

Sam :

In that case, i believe it is a bad fuel pump.

Customer:

Thanks for the help Sam

Sam :

You got it! I strongly recommend that you have the fuel filter replaced at the same time. there are know to get clogged and cause fuel pump failiure.

Sam, BMW Master technician
Experience: BMW S.T.E.P. graduate, 10 years BMW dealership experience