Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.

special: my e39 could not be panel beaten after a collision.

My e39 could not be panel beaten after a collision. Can't all car bodies be straightened out. What so special about bmws

This body style can be straitened using the appropriate machine. The body panels sometimes need replacement due to at certain curvature points they cannot be repaired properly and so need replacement.

It would depend on the extend of the damage. If you are working with your insurance company they will determine if the cost of repair exceeds the value of the vehicle. If this is the case they will deem the vehicle "totalled" and will only give you the current value of the vehicle.

I hope this information is helpful. Please accept and I wish you the best with you vehicle. Thank you.