Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

1997 318 I and the front windows wont go down. Checked the fuses

Customer Question

I have a 1997 318 I and the front windows won't go down. Checked the fuses and all seem to be good. Is it a micro switch? Back windows work fine
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today. Do you hear any noises when you try to put them down?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No they do nothing. Happened all at once.
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

*

*

*

*

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST PRESS ACCEPT TO COMPLETE YOUR TRANSACTION AND CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

JUSTANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND THE ACCEPT BUTTON MUST BE PRESSED TO CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

THANK YOU

*

*

*

*

I have reviewed the wiring diagram. There is no additional fuse, switch, relay or anything in the circuit for just the front windows.

All windows are controlled via the body electronics (ZKE) module, so I suspect the module has failed internally.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where is the zke module
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.
Behind the glove box.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
If the zke module went bad and it controls all the winnows why do the rear ones work? Doesn't make sense to me. Also the all window button will make the rear windows go up and down but not the fronts. How can just part of a module fail? Isn't it all or nothing?
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.
No, these modules can drop specific funcitions only. There is nothing else in this circuit that could cause just 2 windows to fail, unless you got failures of the motors at the exact same time.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks steve. Do u have a picture of the zke module. I have no idea what this even looks like
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

Like the below

Since I have answered your question, I would kindly ask that you please press "ACCEPT" so that I receive credit for doing so.

thank you in advance.

Steve

graphic