JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs Experience; ASE Master Technician; ASE L1 Certified

BMW X5 BMW X I have a problem with the brake lights. The

I have a problem with the brake lights. The centre light is alright but the left and the right are not and I check the fuses and they are good. Can you please help find from where I can find this problem.

Edward Zahra
Category: BMW
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 5 years ago.

This is a common issue with X5 tail lamps, the circuit board in the tail lamp itself overheats, which melts the plastic housing of the tail lamp, enough that the circuit board bends and causes an arc between the bulb socket contact for the brake light and the circuit board.

You need to remove the brake light bulb socket, which is the lowest socket in the tail lamp and check the contact where the socket touches the circuit board of the tail lamp. You will likely find a burn mark on the circuit board.

bmw x5 tail lamp repair

Another indication is that you will find the plastic grey tabs as seen in the pic above will be melted.

If either of these symptoms is present, you will need to replace the tail lamp assembly.

Hope this helps, please use the accept button as this is the only way I receive credit for my work.

Thanks, JP