Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

My bmw wont start. no crank, no click, no turnover. battery is good.

Customer Question

my bmw wont start. no crank, no click, no turnover. battery is good. alternator is good. all fuses are fine? whats next
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

you asked this question already and I answered it. the question is still open.

please return to your original question: http://www.justanswer.com/bmw/52q7w-bmw-528i-2000-bmw-528i-cant-find-second-fuse.html

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok steve. that has been taken care of. what should i try next?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

so you get nothing whatsoever when you try to start the car? and you have tried a jump?

and the car is auto trans?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes tried to jump. all the power in the car works fine. windows, radio etc. yes automatic
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Thanks.

There are a few things that can cause this. While not all can be trouble-shooted at home, I hope this information will be helpful to you and yield a possible solution.

1) bad key - try another one

2) bad brake light switch - make sure your brake lights work. If not, the switch is above the brake pedal.

3) shifter not fully in park - try moving it around a bit, try starting in both park and neutral

4) bad immobilizer (aka EWS) - nothing can be done - zero. Dealer equipment is required to fix. When this goes bad or out of alignment, the car does not get the proper signal that the correct key is present, and therefore, the car will not start and the starter will not be allowed to engage.

5) bad transmission position switch (located on side of the auto transmission, accessed from under car) - this is what signals the car that it is in neutral/park and is safe to start.

6) dead starter solenoid - not likely, you would probably get some noise from it if this were the case.

7) bad ignition switch/cylinder - also unlikely as you would generally not get all other functions / power to come on inside the car in that case

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
which of these would cause the Battery/alternator light to come on while driving the vehicle
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

None of them normally.

That would be caused by a failing alternator or battery.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

>>>>>PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS ACCEPT <<<<<

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ive had the alternator and the battery tested. both are fine.....?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Then could be a problem with the instrument cluster or battery sensor. Or the drive belt. Also, sometimes these items can test okay but still be bad.

Since I have answered your question, I would kindly ask that you please press "ACCEPT" so that I receive credit for doing so.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

?

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
I am not sure what is unclear?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
since ive the battery and alternator tested. is it possible the starter or the starter relay
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Right, and I am saying they can sometimes test okay and be fine. Regardless, this is not the cause of your no start.

Could be the starter relay if your car has one. Usually relays don't go bad.

I have already stated that the problem could be the start solenoid. You will need to test for power to the starter when the key is in the start position.

thank you in advance.

Steve