Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Mini cooper..Everything lights up and starter cranks but wont start

2005 mini cooper s won't start. Everything lights up and starter cranks but won't start. there was no warning it was running fine until this time. The reader I have throws code P1692. Do you have any ideas?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today. Was this code present before the car failed to start?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The check engine light was not on before this and it didn't come on when this happened so I only checked with the reader after the car wouldn't start.
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

*

*

*

*

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST PRESS ACCEPT TO COMPLETE YOUR TRANSACTION AND CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

JUSTANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND THE ACCEPT BUTTON MUST BE PRESSED TO CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

THANK YOU

*

*

*

*

this code actually relates to the throttle body, but that would not cause a no start, so it is erroneous, which I have come across before. what I have seen before is this car with this code with an immobilizer problem. The immobilizer is a device that recognizes that the key is present and the communicates with the engine computer to allow the car to start. Then the immobilizer fails or comes out of alignment with the engine computer, start will be prevented. This is almost certainly your issue. Now, the bad news, the immobilizer 100% requires bmw / mini dealer equipment to align or repair, so the vehicle will need to be towed to the dealer or a shop with dealer level equipment. I am sorry I can't have better news, but this is the reality of the situation and is a complete and truthful answer to your question. I do hope that my honesty is appreciated.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

>>>>>PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS ACCEPT <<<<<

thank you in advance.

Steve