BMW Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.
So you get absolutely zero response from the starter? No click or any lights dimming or anything?
JUSTANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND THE ACCEPT BUTTON MUST BE PRESSED TO CREDIT YOUR EXPERT
There are a few things that can cause this. While not all can be trouble-shooted at home, I hope this information will be helpful to you and possibly yield a solution, or resolve some uncertainty.
1) bad key - try another one
2) bad brake light switch - make sure your brake lights work. If not, the switch is above the brake pedal.
3) shifter not fully in park (auto transmission only) - try moving it around a bit, try starting in both park and neutral
4) bad immobilizer (aka EWS) - nothing can be done to test or fix, dealer equipment is required to fix. When this goes bad or out of alignment, the car does not get the proper signal that the correct key is present, and therefore, the car will not start and the starter will not be allowed to engage.
5) bad transmission position switch (auto transmission only, located on side of transmission, accessed from under car) - this is what signals the car that it is in neutral/park and is safe to start.
6) bad clutch switch (manual transmission only, located above clutch pedal) - this is what signals the car that the clutch is depressed and is safe to start.
7) dead starter solenoid - not likely, you would probably get some noise from it if this were the case.
8) bad ignition switch/cylinder - also unlikely as you would generally not get all other functions / power to come on inside the car in that case
I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.
It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.
If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.
thank you in advance.
Please let me know if you have further questions.
Since I have answered your question, I would kindly ask that you please press "ACCEPT" so that I receive credit for doing so.