Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

I have a 2007 525i. Water pump went bad approx. 6 months ago.

Customer Question

I have a 2007 525i. Water pump went bad approx. 6 months ago. Fuel pump went out two weeks ago. I have been told car needs a new fuel pump, fuel filters, sparkplugs and injectors cleaned because I must have gotten a tank of gas that had water in it. My question is; if it was a bad tank of gas why was I able to drive the car 350 miles on that tank of gas, before I experienced the problem with the fuel filter. Car was almost empty when I filled up with 16.5 gal. gas. Drove it 350 miles, parked it overnight, drove approx 20 miles the next day before engine died and I was unable to re-start.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

*

*

*

*

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST PRESS ACCEPT TO COMPLETE YOUR TRANSACTION AND CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

JUSTANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND THE ACCEPT BUTTON MUST BE PRESSED TO CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

THANK YOU

*

*

*

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

You did not actually use the water/foreign fluid from within the tank until it was nearly empty. You had to drive the 350mi to get the tank down to a level where the water (or whatever it was) would be sucked up by the fuel pump. Then, when it was, you experienced your problems.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

>>>>>PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS ACCEPT <<<<<

Many thanks.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was told the water would have settled to the bottom of the tank where the intake to the engine is. Where is the line located in the fuel tank? Is there a micron sock that is supposed to prevent water from reaching the engine? What all could be damaged and what needs to be checked?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

It is common that foreign contaminants do not get sucked up until the end of a tank of gas.

There is nothing that will prevent water from getting to the engine.

You should have the engine compression tested, but not likely too much damage could have occurred, except to the pump and filter.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Since I have answered your question, I would kindly ask that you please press "ACCEPT" so that I receive credit for doing so.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
could it have been something else that would have caused the fuel pump to go out? How do they know it was bad gas? I still had over 1/4 tank of gas when I started traveling that morning. Can you tell me what size the gas tank is on the 525i?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

It could be something else, sure. These pumps fail all the time just on their own without anyting else causing it - just flat out die of "old age".

The tank is 18.5 gallons

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You did not answer my question about the micron sock on the fuel pump. I have a full bumper to bumper extended warranty and want to know if this mechanical breakdown should be covered.

You did not answer my question about what part of the tank the fuel leaves from. The car has 82,000 miles on it. The car gets approx 30 mpg on the highway so I think it should have had 6-7 gallons in the tank at the time of the breakdown.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

There is nothing to prevent water from being sucked up.

The pump picks up from the bottom portion of the tank, but there is a complex system of fuel transfer from side to side that can play into this as well. Commonly contaminents are not actaully picked up until the tank is low.

If the pump can be proven to have failed on its own without contamination it should be covered.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

If there is evidence of water in your fuel filter, the pump will not be covered.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
the guy gave very brief and incomplete answer. I had to re-ask the same questions again. He was not willingly helpful. I am dissatisfied with the answer and feel like it was a waste of time and money.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

If there is evidence of water in your fuel filter, the pump will not be covered. It is as simple as that.

thank you in advance.

Steve