Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

1993 318i: radiator, water pump, fan switch and thermal stat

I have 1993 318i BMW that is over heating. I have replaced the radiator, water pump, fan switch and thermal stat. What else can I check for.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

How soon after starting does the car overheat?

Does it do it more in stop and go traffic, or on the highway?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Q1: how soon after starting: Setting idal it takes about 10 min befor it stars to over heat
Q2: I have do drieven the car let.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

which fan switch are you referring to?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Q1: The one on the radiateor
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

*

*

*

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST PRESS ACCEPT TO COMPLETE YOUR TRANSACTION AND CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

.

JUSTANSWER IS AN HONOR SYSTEM AND THE ONLY WAY YOUR EXPERT IS PAID IS IF YOU PRESS ACCEPT

*

*

*

Thanks.

Other things to check for:

1) air or blockage in the system

2) bad fan clutch (what the mechanical fan spins on)

3) blown headgasket (you can get a kit from parts stores to check for combustion gases in the cooling system to check for this)

I hope that is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green "ACCEPT" button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

Many thanks.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thaks fro the tips but I have more questions I have replace the heads also, you said dthat there is a kit to check for combustion gases in the cooling system, is that the same as the kits fro checking the combustion at the stark plug?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

no it is a kit that tests for exhaust gas in the cooling system. it changes color if they are present.

here is a link about it: CLICK HERE

Please let me know if you have further questions.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok Thanks for that tip. I am short on funs and thaks why I using this system (by theway its great) In the pass I could tell if I had a bad headgasket by looking at the radieator to see if oil was there or if I saw white smook coming out of the tail pip. Just to let you if thats stall a good way to see if the gasket is bad, then I do not see any of those signs.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

That's not really a bullet proof way to test, no. I would advise you to use one of the kits like I suggested. That will verify.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you very much fro your help I and am accepting your time.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

you are welcome

best of luck.