eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech 15 + years foreign domestic & european

BMW 325i How do you repair the expansion tank on a 2005 BMW

How do you repair the expansion tank on a 2005 BMW 325i. Mine just popped and drained all water.
Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. the tank would require replacement..if it built up that much pressure it may have a serious issue like a failed head gasket

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I know that I need to replace the tank since it's cracked. My question is how to do that, what are the steps. How difficult is it to repair and can I fix it at home ?

Remove intake filter housing.
Remove front underbody protection.
Drain coolant from radiaator

Unfasten plug connection (1) and disconnect.
Pull out lock (2).

When replacing coolant expansion tank:
Unlock coolant level sensor (1) by turning and pull out of coolant expansion tank.

Pull locks (1 and 2) upwards and detach coolant hose from radiator/coolant expansion tank.

Pull lock (1) upwards and detach coolant hose from coolant expansion tank.

Pull coolant expansion tank a little out of retaining plate and lower connection piece. Then tilt expansion tank to rear and remove.

Check O-rings. Under no circumstances coat O-rings with antiseize agent prior to installation.
Retaining lug must engage in opening in retaining plate.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, so it doesnt have to be taken to dealer. It is work that I can do at home ? Anything crutical to look out for ? thanks!!!
not really its pretty basic....but i think it popped for a REASON
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What would that be ? Do I need to check something else. Why would it normally pop ?
pressure in the cooling system...generally caused by a head or head gasket issue