Anthony
Anthony, BMW Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
15218643

Module..This part monitors TPMS wheel sensors

How do you replace the RDC Module? Location in the car? This part monitors TPMS wheel sensors.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

ITs behind the glove box for the front passenger. You have to take out the glove box. Do you want the procedures?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are you sure? The SA at BMW said that it is located in the trunk area behind a panel. So I guess the SA is wrong. Which module is behind the panel in the trunk? Yes, please send me the procedures for removing the dash to replace the RDC module. I also need to know how to reprogram the car to accomodate the new module
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
Ok, what scan tool do you have available to you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
EDIABAS OBD2
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

Ok, what software are you running on that connection?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
INPA4 ... but it does not say on the CD that came with the Ediabas/INPA4 interface.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Please verify location of the RDC module, and provide instructions for removing the dash to replace this module.
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

Sorry for the delay....

In the files below are all the procedures. As for coding the module to see your sensors, I'm not sure of the software you are running and if its possible that way....

CLICK HERE FOR PDF FILE DOWNLOAD

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Okay, part of this replacement of the RDC requires disconnecting the battery. How is this done?

Does this car have one or two RDC (TPMS) modules? If two, then location of the 2nd module?

Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

It has one module and two antennas in the front and rear bumpers. Those should be ok.

As for the battery, just unhook the negative terminal which is closest to the rear tail light.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Isn't there an on-off battery "switch" located above the fuse panel in the rear hatch area? If so, can I simply hit that switch while I do the part replacement? Any idea where I can find a used RDC module?

Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

No switch or I would have told you. Unhook the battery. As for the Used module, try

www.bmrparts.com

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just checked above my fuse panel and there is an on/off switch. If this is not for the battery, then what is it for?
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

Its not a total battery disconnect. You must unhook the battery or the air bags will remain live. This is the only way. The battery is in the trunk under a cover passengers side.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, at page 186 of the BMW handbook this switch is called "battery switch," which reduces current flow when the engine is off. So disconnecting the negative terminal must be done prior to removing the RDC module.
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
Right. But its not for just the RDC, its because you are working with the Airbags also.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Have you replaced an RDC module? Will I get error codes or need to reprogram the car after replacing the RDC module?
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

The RDC needs to be coded and the sensors in your wheels taught to it. I don't know what software you have nor how to do it with your software.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Will it work okay without having a TPMS sensor in the spare tire?
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

No, it will warn you of that on the dash and show all tires as being low.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, in what position must the spare tire's TPMS sensor be pointed? That is, if we are looking at the hands of a clock, at what number should the sensor be pointed toward, when positioning the spare tire in the storage compartment? 10, 11, 12, 1, 2?
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
It does not matter. The sensor has a pretty far range. Ive seen them work 10 feet away from the car.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That's good news. I've read that it must be angled toward an antenna. How do you check the sensors to make sure the batteries are working?
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

I've heard that too. 9 or 3 o'clock is the shortest to either antenna. As for as batteries, the scan tool can call up the remaining battery life but what I see is after about 5 years, they are done or very weak. New ones are available in the link below:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/euro/catalog/shopcart/B090/POR_B090_MISCLL_pg2.htm

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Speaking of the battery, if it's low on charge but still starts the car no problem, could it be affecting operation of the RDC module? There is a display that says "recharge battery." Does this mean to recharge the car battery? If so, can this be done with a trickle type battery charger connected to the pos/neg terminals in the engine compartment?
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
The message you have now is for the main battery. Yes, you can trickle it from the lug under the hood. I prefer to hook right to the battery though. Its never a good idea to test anything in that car thats computerized if you have a low battery.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How long should it remain on the charger?
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
How many amps does your charger put out??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Two settings on the Dual Rate Battery Charger: 12v 2 Amp and 12v 6 Amp
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.
Run the 2 amp setting for 24 hours. Do not use the 6 amp as its too high for your battery type.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay, the other charger is not rated in amps but simply "Output: 13.5 Volts DC." How long to charge with this charger?
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

Use the 2 amp charger. The 13.5 constant wont fully charge the battery.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the help! How can I get back in touch with you when I have other questions?
Expert:  Anthony replied 3 years ago.

You bet!

Click on my profile and save the link to it or use the link below:

http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-caprio23/

Anthony, BMW Technician
Experience: ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.