Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

Put in new battery; now engine wont system..unlock

Put in new battery; now engine won't start. Is the security system locked. How do I unlock it.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today. What exactly is the car doing?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The lights are on; the starter seems to be working. Engine is not 'sparking'or turning on. Was told it culd be the alarm system needs resetting?
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

so the starter motor is turning over then?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

Then it is not a security issue - that would prevent the starter from turning over altogether.

A car needs three things to start, fuel, spark and compression. If the car was previously running fine, we can rule out a compression problem.

After ruling out a compression problem, by far the most likely cause of this a failed fuel pump, which is preventing the car from getting fuel. You check the fuse for the fuel pump to be sure, but the pump is a fairly common failure. There is also a fuel pump relay but relay failures are rare, while pump failures are common.

A replacement fuel pump for your vehicle is about $300 plus about 1.5 hours of labor.

The only other possibility would be no spark condition which would be commonly caused by a failed crank sensor. This can be verified at home by spraying quick start starting fluid spray into the intake (if you are comfortable doing so - be careful as this can cause a backfire). If the engine starts on the quick start, then you have verified that there is in fact spark present and the fuel pump or fuel delivery is the problem.

I would say 95% it is the fuel pump that will need to be replaced. This is almost always the case with a crank-no-start condition on a BMW.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green ACCEPT button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

Many thanks.