Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

Open a dead battery bmw x5 that has a broken key lock on the door

how do I open a dead battery bmw x5 that has a broken key lock on the door
Category: BMW
Expert:  Matt replied 5 years ago.

Hello

As the car's battery is totally flat, this means you can't get the deadlock or alarm system to release its grip
If you can get into the car via the boot then I'd start by charging the battery you should be able to do this via the cigarette lighter / accessory socket - you'll need the appropriate attachment but car accessory shops sell these-

Alternatively if you can't get into the car/ boot the other way to do this is jack the car up so you can get under the front.

locate the starter motor and the large power cable that runs to it - connect the positive battery charger lead to this terminal

then connect the charger negative lead to the metal of the engine block

This should complete the charging circuit and get some power into the battery allowing you into the car