Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

Bmw: wont start its giving the following fault codes P101b , p100

Hi

my bmw wont start its giving the following fault codes P101b , P1050, P1062
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today. What model is this car?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi

its a 2005 model e90

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

and what happens when you try to start it?

does the starter motor turn over, or does it not? does it make noises?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the motor turns and it just cranks n doesnt start
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

*

*

*

*

PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST PRESS ACCEPT TO COMPLETE YOUR TRANSACTION AND CREDIT YOUR EXPERT

*

*

*

*

Thanks.

These are timing codes. Something is wrong with your timing. This is unfortunately something that will need to be looked at professionally, it is not something that can be rectified at home.

The vehicle will need to be towed, it will not start in this condition.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green ACCEPT button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

Many thanks.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi

What i need to know is what excactly does this mean P101b

Variable valve timing (VVT), bank 1 - adaptive

learning

and what needs to be done to resolve the problem

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

The VVT system adapts over time, but since the system is down, it can't adapt. This is being caused by the other faults with the VVT system, you don't have to worry about this code, just the others .Fixing the others will solve this.

You will need to have the car diagnosed using a BMW specific scan tool in order to get more accurate info on the nature of the fault. Timing issues cannot be diagnosed using generic P codes - it is impossible, they are just too generic.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi

what i wanted to know is what does "P101b Variable valve timing (VVT), bank 1 - adaptive learning" and how to resolve this

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

I answer this. It means that the bank one vanos is unable to adapt at the current time.

This is because the whole timing system has suffered a failure.

This will be fixed when the other faults with the timing system are fixed.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

by the other codes you mean the P1062 and P1050 or what

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Yes.

There is a failure in the timing system that will require a proper diagnosis - you cannot solve this issue without more sophisticated equipment.

The P101b is only coming on because of this other timing failure. Once you fix the bigger problem, this P101b fault will go away automatically.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
by the bigger problem you mean the P1062 an P1050?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Yes.

P1062 and P1050 indicate a problem with your vanos timing system. Once this problem is addressed, the P101b will go away automatically.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can this be related to a mulfunctioning valvetronic motor?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Yes it could be.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks steve great help inded
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

You are welcome

Please do not forget to press the green "ACCEPT" button

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

upon replacing the valvetronic motor is there anything that will need to be done to the car ie programing or any other special procedures that will clear this

P1062 Variable valve timing (VVT), bank 1 - limp-home

mode - full stroke position not reached

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Please note that you must press the green "ACCEPT" button in order for me to receive credit for assisting you today.

It should be fine after you replace the motor.

thank you in advance.

Steve

Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
below is what i have done and need answer based on this

Bmw 320i wont start i have replaced the fuel pump, the valvetronic motor and the crankshaft sensor i am still getting this errors P101b , P1050, P1061 and there is no spark in the engine