JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs Experience; ASE Master Technician; ASE L1 Certified
31247390

BMW 745Li my audio is acting up and i was wondering .. i was

my audio is acting up and i was wondering .. i was on a BMWs forum and one dude said that i may need a firmware update on my navigation ..said that stop all his problems with the crackling and his speakers stared to work ,sub and all ..but i wanted to ask y'all because i knew ya knew best solution so lets hear the bad news
Category: BMW
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 3 years ago.

What you have read on the forums is correct. The first step in resolving those issues that you have described is to have the vehicle radio and navigation system updated to the latest software/ firmware versions. This is done by your local BMW center. They usually charge around 1.5-2.0 hours labor to perform the programming; so depending on the labor rate is around $200-250. All of the vehicles control modules will receive up to date software levels (you can compare this to updating a program on your home pc!).

Hope this helps, please use the accept button as this is the only way I receive credit for my work.

Thanks, JP

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can an independent

No, an independent repair shop will not have the necessary equipment with the latest updates to program the vehicle. The vehicle is programmed over a BMW factory server that an independent shop would not even be able to purchase.

-JP

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do u think it is worth the try i don't want to waste my money with and it is not the problem my subs are not working and my back speakers are not working my front are working and back door speaker are also but at times depends on the songs and the volume i get the cracking sound so i eithr have to turn it up a little or turn it down but at times sounds great ...i had and nav problem last year got it fixed by an indepent i thought i need a amp but they said amp was good so when i got it back the radio worked alot better but still wasnt like it should be ... is there any way i can tell if i have the updated version

There is no way to tell if your vehicle has the latest updates unless you have a dealer bmw scan tool. With audio concerns/ especially the crackling noises you are experiencing; 9 times out of 10 it is a software issue. I would definitely start with the vehicle programming.

-JP

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i hear about the ask unit or most bus on forums ...

The ask is essentially the radio control unit... it gets reprogrammed with the update; and the most bus is the fiber optic line that connects the control units on the audio system allowing them to communicate with each other.

-JP

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i guess i will try it the software update that is i hope thats the problem u know how some of these dealers are ...
The dealer would also start with that...
Experience: 10 yrs Experience; ASE Master Technician; ASE L1 Certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok thats for working with me on this i hope this it$$$$$