Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

BMW 335I How do I replace / change the battery in a 2007 335I

How do I replace / change the battery in a 2007 335I without having to have it "re-programmed" according to the dealer. I was told I could keep it "live" to avoid this.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today.

When a new battery is installed, the vehicle is meant to be reprogramed to monitor and charge the new battery properly. This is proper BMW procedure. This has nothing to do with keeping it live, which saves your radio presets, etc and is not necessary.

The programming for the car to accept the new battery can only be done at a dealer.

With that said, I have need seen or encountered an actual problem from not having this procedure carried out.

If I were you , I would just replace the battery like you would on any other car and you should have no issue. There is no need to pay the dealer $120 to program your car to accept the new battery as the car will "learn" the new battery over a short period of time.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green ACCEPT button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

Many thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Does it matter if we use a non oem battery? I had a independent shop tell us that they will only put a BMW battery in it because others have caused problems.

I find it hard to beleive that a car knows the difference between battery brands.

I read on line that keeping the car "live" while changing batteries eliminates the re-programming.

What do they do, put jumper cables from another vehicle to the posts under the hood while you disconnect the one in the trunk? Just curious on that one as you say it doesn't matter, as i would assume you just loose the personal seetings for radio, nav, seats etc that you put in when you got the car.

If I just change it like any car does that enormous positive terminal remove in one piece?

What is a "short" amount of time to relearn the new battery?

You can use any battery you want. Sears, autozone, etc, etc, etc. The car does not know the difference.

I would not bother trying to keep it live, you don't gain anything. It might trick the car in to not thinking the battery was changed, which doesn't get you ahead at all anyways because it will eventually re-learn that the battery's ability to hold charge is different now anyways.

Here is a link showing battery removal: CLICK HERE

It should relearn the battery over two to three weeks.

If I have answered your question, I would kindly ask that you please press the green ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for doing so.

Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Well, your information and link couldn't be better I'm just struggling with reading all the other posts trying to decide if I'll have problems or not. There are just as many don't register / program at the dealer as there are do it's.

I'm not worried about the changing of it, just the after effects (or not).It sounds like it's a gamble either way if everything will be fine, all types of lights will come on and then go off, battery won't charge properly and I'll be still going to the dealer.

Love the car, but this is not worth it. Seriously changing a battery requires all this?

Thanks for the help, I guess I'll see if you have any response though I think you've told me all you can and I'll hit the accept button.

Thanks again

I do not expect you will have problems. I have advised many people the same thing and have never had one come back to complain to me. I will be advising my father the same thing when he needs a new battery in his 2007 328i.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget to press the ACCEPT button as this is the only way I receive any credit for the assistance I have provided today.

Thanks in advance.