Roger, BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs. experience as BMW Master Technician, shop foreman and dealer.
8631066

2003 325i: bmw..eml light shows up

Customer Question

i have a 2003 325i bmw. it's been a week since i have to turn the key 4 times and more before it starts. eml light shows up. one mechanic saw it already, but wasn't much help--something about code and having to take it into the dealership. thanks in advance for your help. francisco
Category: BMW
Expert:  Roger replied 5 years ago.

Some times some driving may be required to get a particular symptom to resurface. It sounds like they might have only been starting it.

This may be a known problem actually once you get to the dealer. There is a service bulletin that related to a starting issue and the EML light. The bulletin states that this may be either the throttle (eml) electronic throttle, or the wiring harness for the engine. In most cases it is the throttle motor that needs replacement, but in some instances I have seen the engine harness needing replacement as well. This is usually an intermittent problem but it could leave you stranded. Once the dealer scans the codes, they should be able to help identify if you will only need the throttle.

I hope this information is helpful. Please accept and best wishes on your repair. Thank you.