Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

2002 BMW 325I: cranks..wont start..Radio, lights and all else come on

My 2002 BMW 325I cranks but won't start. Radio, lights and all else come on.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today. So the starter truns over, but the car won't start?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
correct. makes the cranking noise but does not start.
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

Most likely then it is not getting fuel due to a failed fuel pump. Check the fuse for the fuel pump to be sure, but the pump is a fairly common failure.

There is also a fuel pump relay behind the glove box (top left relay, glove box must be totally removed to access it) but relay failures are rare, while pump failures are common.

A replacement fuel pump for your vehicle is $330 plus about 1 hour of labor.

The only other possibilitly would be no spark condition which would be caused by a failed crank sensor. This can be verified by spraying quick start spray into the intake when cranking. If the engine fires on the quick start, then you have verified there is spark and the fuel pump is the problem.

I would say 95% it is the fuel pump.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green ACCEPT button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

Many thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Steve- I made a mistake. The car is not cranking. Once I turn the key to start, it makes a "tick, tick, tick" noise. Radio, lights and everything else works. Please help.
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

In that case either your battery is flat or the starter has failed.

Try to jump start it - if it starts, then the battery is the problem.

If it does not start and still just clicks, you will need a new starter.

Since I have answered your question, I would kindly ask that you please press ACCEPT so that I am credited for doing so.

Thank you in advance.