Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert
26942375

BMW 323i Convertible I have a 1999 BMW 323i Convertible.

I have a 1999 BMW 323i Convertible. The top got stuck midway about a year ago and had to be manually cranked to get it close. The top itself needs to be replaced as the rear window (which was replaced about 3 years ago) is tearing away from the top causing it to leak. What is involved in replacing this top? This car has 128,000 miles on it and is in absolutely mint condition otherwise (not a scratch or ding on it) so I am trying to figure it if it worth replacing.
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer BMW,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it just the rear window that needs to be replaced, or the whole top?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The car is 12 years old, so i think the whole top needs to be replaced - it's starting to fade anyway. And the fact that it got stuck midway says something is wrong with it. I had to disengage the motor so I could manually put it back in the closed position.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Thanks. This will be an expensive job, a few thousand. I would still say it is worth it if the car is in good shape though.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

If satisfied with my assistance, please press the green ACCEPT button so that I may be credited for helping today. I am not credited or compensated whatsoever until you press the green ACCEPT button.

>>>>>PLEASE DO NOT FORGET TO PRESS ACCEPT <<<<<

Many thanks.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What exactly is involved with replacing it - in terms of parts and labor? I REFUSE to take my car back to the place that replaced the window, since that is only a few years old and that is where is now leaking from. I need to if I am better off ordering the parts from BWM myself and then finding someone to replace it for me or having them do all of it.

Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
are you wanting to replace the entire thing including all the linkages, etc, or just the canvas?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I want the top so it doesn't leak, looks good and is working again, where I can put it up and down. What is the best and worst case scenario? Best scenario - just the canvas and tension straps, provided the motor is still working fine. Worst case - replacing everything that is involved with the top
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Best case $2000 just canvas

Worst case $4000 for everything.

I would try to find a non-dealer, BMW specialist shop that has experience with these tops (most should) and use them. The other options, not sure how feasibile, is to get the top jammed back into the storage compartment and drive it top down 100% of the time.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

If I have answered your question, I would kindly ask that you please press ACCEPT so that I receive credit for doing so.

Thank you in advance.

Steve

Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert