bimmaster
bimmaster, BMW Technician
Experience:  3 years dealer experience, master bmw tech
19948718

1993 325I: replace a fuel pump..sedan..passenger side..pump works fine

Customer Question

How difficult is it to replace a fuel pump in a 1993 325I 4-dr sedan. It should be the one on the passenger side since the fuel level indicator does not work. Can you just replace the fuel level indicator if the pump works fine?
Category: BMW
Expert:  bimmaster replied 3 years ago.
Hi, welcome to just answer.
So is the only problem you're having is the fuel level gauge does not work at all?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes but when I called the local mechanics at Hurless brothers they said the fuel tank level indicator is built into the pump and you would have to replace the pump on the passenger side since that is where the pump is located. Also when looking up the pump it shows several different models I dont want to have to remove the one before ordering the replacement.
Expert:  bimmaster replied 3 years ago.
Ok thanks for the extra info.
Your information is correct. The pump always sits on the right side of the vehicle.
It's accessed through a removable panel under the rear seat bottom.
If your right level sensor is bad, you'll have to replace the whole pump and level sensor assembly. They aren't sold separately.
Normal labor time to replace the fuel pump is 2 hours or less.
To remove the pump. pull up on the front edge of the rear seat bottom. and slide the seat out.
Remove access panel on right side.
Using a brass punch and hammer, tap the lock ring counter clockwise to loosen. Unscrew lock ring, remove hoses and electrical connectors, and pull the pump out.
Slide the new one in, with a new gasket seal.
graphic
bimmaster, BMW Technician
Experience: 3 years dealer experience, master bmw tech
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I order this pump is there only one that will fit if I look it up online they list several different types for this year and model?
Expert:  bimmaster replied 3 years ago.
Please send the last 7 of your vin, and I can look up the part number for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
FL13121 is the last 7 if vin
Expert:  bimmaster replied 3 years ago.
Ok, the pump part number is #16141182842
The rubber seal is part # 16111179637.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help. Hopefully I can now pay myself 200 by doing it myself in less than two hours.
Expert:  bimmaster replied 3 years ago.
No problem. You're welcome.