George
George, BMW Technician
Experience:  BMW Master Technician over 20 years BMW Dealership Experience. BMW Auto Repair Shop Business Owner
8183308

BMW 528i 1998 528i BMW... battery is dead and car will not

1998 528i BMW... battery is dead and car will not unlock by key to get in. What do I do, and where is the battery
Category: BMW
Expert:  George replied 3 years ago.

George :

The battery is located in the trunk.

George :

On the passenger side right next to the tail light, fold down compartment.

George :

Did you try inserting the key in the trunk lock and turning it all the way towards the drivers side?

Customer:

Hi..I am not sure what my husband has or has not done because my son is out of the country and we do not have the owners manual Are you supposed to remove the rear right tail light to get to something? I am confused

George :

No the battery is located in the trunk in the area of the tail light. On the passenger side of the vehicle.

George :

Give me a moment to see if I have a picture for you.

Customer:

OK, my husband is trying the key to the left right now... hold on

George :

OK

Customer:

OK, he got in and found the battery. Any suggestions about that, and if so, what n

George :

Do you have a battery charger?

Customer:

Will the remotes work when we replace the battery or charge it? Also,will the remotes then work? This car has been sitting for 6 months. Anything else we should do????

George :

The remotes should work but if they don't it is a very simple process to re-initalize them to the vehicle.

Customer:

how do you do that

George :

One moment I am gathering the information for you.

Customer:

ok

George :

Remote Key Re-Initialise - If a key fails to operate remotely, it will have to be re-initialised (all keys in sequence at the same time)

- Get in and “close all doors”

- Turn ignition on & off quickly (no more than 5 seconds) to start the process. Next action must take place within 30 seconds

- First key - hold down button #2 (unlock) while striking button #1 (lock) three times. Release button #2. Confirmed by door lock operation.

- Repeat for second key within 30 seconds of first.

- After last key then cycle the ignition on/off to finalise the process (not necessary to start the engine.

George :

Here is a link to a video that will walk you through the procedure. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-TI1jc_nbA

Customer:

ok, but that is assuming I can get into the car when the battery is charged... I am assumingyou don't think that would be a problem-yes???

George :

Once the battery is charged use the key in the drivers door lock cylinder and turn it to the left and it will unlock the doors.

Customer:

Is there anything else we should do with this car when it is not being driven that much at all????

George :

You want to atleast run it or drive it once a week for at least 1/2 hour, driving would be the best of the 2.

Customer:

Great...you have been awesome thanks!!!

George :

Your welcome and after accepting if you have any further questions you can return and ask followup questions if needed.

Customer:

great

George, BMW Technician
Experience: BMW Master Technician over 20 years BMW Dealership Experience. BMW Auto Repair Shop Business Owner
Expert:  George replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much,

George