Steve
Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

BMW X3 3.0d: How to change the 6 glow plugs on a X3 3.0d from

How to change the 6 glow plugs on a X3 3.0d from 2004
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

This process is somewhat cumbersome as many components need to be removed prior to accessing the plugs.

The tension strut and microfilter housing must first be removed, then the intake air manifold can be removed. Once this is out of the way, the plugs can easily be removed with a glow plug tool.

hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

Many thanks.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Steve, I need to know how to remove the microfilter housing and the intake air manifiold.
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

can I please have the last 7 digits of your vin number?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
WB43332
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

The microfilter housing has 3 fasteners holding it down, and then it slides out towards the front of the vehicle.

the air intake manifold has two plugs, two vacuum hoses, one latch and one bolt.

Next the wiring harness needs to be detached, along with three more hoeses.

I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have further questions

Many thanks.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The micro filter is OK.

The air intake manifold I see 12 screws, 6 bolts... is that it? do you have any diagrams you can send me?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

That should be it, plus the connectors and vacuum hoses. Diagrams are below.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Many thanks.

Steve

Parts diagram

Parts diagram

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a diagram from the glow plug area? and how should I test the glow plugs to see which are not working properly?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

There are no diagrams of that area - once you remove everything they come out simply.

Testing glow plugs requires special equipment. If you are going to the trouble of taking all of this stuff apart, I would just replace them all.

Many thanks.

Steve

Steve, BMW Expert
Experience: BMW Expert
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Steve, Changing the glow plugs did not fix my problem, for some reason the car does not start the first time I turn the key but I have to turn several times before the car starts. It seems that the system that powers the plugs does not give power for enough time, so I have to activate the power several times instead of once as it should be. What do you think could be the problem.