Cory
Cory, BMW Technician
Experience:  25 years of BMW repair

BMW 328is: I have a 1996 BMW 328i. The heater wont get hot.

Customer Question

I have a 1996 BMW 328i. The heater wont get hot. The temp guage is normal air will get a little bit warm but not hot. What is wrong?
Category: BMW
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
***please note that you must press accept in order to comepensate you expert*** Hello and welcome. This is most likely due to a failed heater valve. You will need to have yours replaced.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

Many thanks.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I know nothing much about this but did put another water pump and pulley and fan clutch and fan today and flushed out the radiator. Do you have a picture or a diagram to show me where this part is and how to fix it. Also I was told it might be the heater core?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Hello again. I will be happy to provide further information, however, I have answered your question regarding the problem, so I would kindly ask that you press accept so that I am credited for doing so. I can provide diagrams and par numbers no problem - the thread will remain open after accept is pressed. Thank you. Steve
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will accept after my problem gets solved. If this fixes my problem I will accept but not untill then. Thank you if you dont want to provide diagrams without accept let me know so I can get help with somone else. Thank you for your help.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
are you going to help me further?
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Hello again. As you can see above, another expert has agreed with my answer. You need to replace the heater valve.

Many thanks.

Steve

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a diagram of my problem so I can do the work and see if this fixes my problem??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>I have a 1996 BMW 328i. The heater air will not get hot. It will get a little warm but not hot. What might be the problem?</p>
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
the person I was working with wanted me to accept before I had my problem solved before he would continue to help me. I was not satisfied what that and wanted to get my problem solved before I accepted the answer. So I want another person to help me.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
didnt want to help unless i accepted first
Expert:  Cory replied 3 years ago.

Here is the answer to your question! You need a heater control valve assembly, period. Just as the expert already answered. Here is your diagram. $246.42 from the BMW dealer. As far as your second question, with the first one answered, you can't fix it, you can only replace the component. Or you could replace the heater core for $3000.00, but that won't fix it! I was very reluctant to give you information after a look at your history. I am giving you the benefit of the doubt. Now, we shall see!

Cory, BMW Technician
Experience: 25 years of BMW repair
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for the pic of where this part is on my car. Can or will you continue to help me if this dont solve my problem? I will have to check it this weekend when I have time to look at the car. I will try to take this part off and see about getting another one.
Expert:  Cory replied 3 years ago.

Yes, you can request me. I will be happy to assist you in the future. Thank you.

Cory