Steve, BMW Expert
Experience:  BMW Expert

Loud..about 25 minutes and slow to below 30 mph..rev..sitting

Loud whistling noise after I drive the car for about 25 minutes and slow to below 30 mph. It stop if I rev up the engine. it never sounds when the car is just starting after it has been sitting for over 4-5 hours, until I drive it for about 25 minutes. Any guesses? thanks!

Hello and welcome;

Where does the noise seem to be coming from? Engine compartment?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It is hard to say because it is fairly loud, but I would say mostly the front and around the sides of the engine compartment. it is really hard to pin down.

is it tied to speed or rpm?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. It doesn't happen when I go over say 40 mph and it does stop when I go into neutral and rev up the engine. but as soon as I let up it starts again.

There are a few things that can cause this.

One is a belt or pulley.

The other two would be air being forced through a small crack. There are two ways this happens

1) a failed crankcase vent valve which causes the engine to pressureize. When this noise is happening next time at idle, remove the oil cap and see if the noise stops, or if there is a high vacuum / suction holding the oil cap down. If either occurs (noise stops or high vacuum) then it is the crankcase vent valve.

2) a vacuum leak elsewhere - leaky gasket, crack in the intake boot, etc.

If I had to guess without being hands on, I would say crankcase vent valve.

I hope that is helpful, please let me know if you have further questions, or if I can clarify anything for you.

It has been my pleasure to help today and I wish you the best of luck with the vehicle.

Many thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you know why it would stop at high RPMs? secondly, why it only starts after about 25 minutes of driving?

also? What does either possibility cost roughly? I guess I am trying to asses how big of a job it is. Thanks!

RPM and temperature can have lots of effects on different components.

A new crankcase vent valve would be about a $500 job. It is impossible to estimate what a vacuum leak would cost without knowing what is causing it. It could range anywhere from $30 up to many hundred depending. Belts/pulleys are $40 to $65 each.

Please let me know if you have further questions

Many thanks.