JayPutelis
JayPutelis, Shop Foreman/ BMW Master Tech
Experience:  10 yrs Experience; ASE Master Technician; ASE L1 Certified
31247390

BMW 325i The battery in my 2003 key fob is not recharging

The battery in my 2003 key fob is not recharging and it keeps locking me out of my car. What causes this and how do I fix the problem
Category: BMW
Expert:  JayPutelis replied 3 years ago.

Hi there,

Could you please provide the last 7 digits of the VIN of the vehicle?

Also, please elaborate on the issue, does the remote work at all; to lock or unlock the vehicle?

-JP

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
vin # XXXXX wbaev33413kL85033

When I push button to open locks it will not open. I thought key just need to be reset. I paid a locksmith to open the car. I reset the key to the car drove around all day and fob the worked fine opening and locking car. I went back later in the day to car and fob would not open the doors. So it seems to me the battery in fob is not charging

It is likely the battery in the key is not holding a charge; not that the vehicle is not recharging it. It is common for those remote key batteries to last 6-7 years before they begin to fail. The battery in the remote is not a replaceable component either. You will have to buy a new remote from your local bmw dealership. They retail for about $200. You will need to provide your license and vehicle registration for them to photocopy for proof of ownership of the vehicle.

They will then have to initialize the new remote to your vehicle, they should provide this service with the purchase of the new remote. This is simply performed by entering and closing the drivers door; cycling the key to the "key on" position, but not starting the vehicle; removing the key from the ignition; then pressing and holding the lock button and tapping the unlock button three times in succession. Then the new remote should work with the vehicle.

Hope this helps, please use the accept button as this is the only way I receive credit for my work.

Wish I had better news,

-JP

Experience: 10 yrs Experience; ASE Master Technician; ASE L1 Certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
that's what I was affraid of just lookinfg to see if there was something I did not think of thanks for your help